Transmission Update From Customer Service

Hello,

I logged my complaint into customer service today. I later called and spoke to a customer service rep who told me the following: On 8/5/03 a NEW service bulletin was incorporated for 2002/2003 transmission problems. The Service Bulletin # is TC004-03. He said it is a software update.

I have my first service appointment (1000 mile) tomorrow afternoon and will ask that this update be performed. Im not sure if this update is really new or if the customer service rep is blowing smoke because I have heard others say they have had a software update with no help. I will take this man for his word and hope for the best.

I will let you all know tomorrow night.

John

fingers crossed :D

I spoke to Lexus Corporation this morning to verify this service bulletin(TSB-TC004-03). They were very aware of it. I than called my local Lexus dealer who also knew about it and I have an appointment tomorrow morning to have this updated ECM software installed. Great!!! :D

:(

I went by my dealership today after hearing the news.

I have to say I am a bit discouraged. The service manager, whom I trust very much, said he does not want to put the fix in my car.

He explained that he did get the fix and they tried it on several cars on the lot that demonstrated the so called problem.

Basically he said the fix makes the tranny act like a cheap car. The shifts are not smooth and quiet. The tranny supposedly is still searching for gears and the driver doesn't really know what gear he is in. I did not drive any "fixed" ES but I will trust him.

I suggest to anyone that goes for the fix, ask to test drive the car after the ECU is updated. If you do not like the fix, go back to your old ECU. Tell the dealership to contact Lexus and tell them you are not pleased with the fix.

If, however, you are impressed with the fix, please post immediately with your take on the new shift logic. I will have to rethink what my service manager advised.

The ES world eagerly awaits user opinions.

steviej

I will definitely post back after the upgraded ECM is installed tomorrow morning. The weather forecast is thunder showers for tomorrow so I'll test it the best I can under these conditons. The service manager told me that the labor to do this is about 1 1/2 hours. I was surprised that it would take that much time. Does anyone know where this ECM is located in the car?

Here's the story of the upgrade(TSB-TC004-03) that was done on my '03ES.

1- The original ECM is re-programmed NOT changed.

2- The new software is downloaded from the Lexus Corporation to the dealers computer.

3- Dealer transfers this new software to a scan tool and than plugs it into the socket which than uploads to the existing ECM. This upload takes about 1 hour. The scan tool tells the mechanic whether the update was successful or not.

My first findings:

I was told that the fuzzy logic will adapt to my driving habits after using it for awhile. Right from the start I noticed that acceleration, downshifts and upshifts were crisper. It seemed to know what gear to go into without the hesitation. I tried this at slow speeds(0-40mph) as well as road speeds(40-80mph).

I never had the shudder that some owners complained of, so I can't tell whether that has been corrected, but from all indications it looks like it would be.

Shifts were as smooth as before this upgrade.

So far I'm very pleased with this transmission fix and I'll report back if I find anything to the contrary.

Good job Lexus. :D

I spoke too soon!! After driving my car with the updated program and giving it enough time to learn my driving habits I find that this fix is totally unsatisfactory. The quote below was written by another dissatisfied Lexus owner that had his transmission updated with Lexus's newest software. It expresses my feelings exactly. This was posted on Edmunds website(post #115)

"TSB-TC004-03 is not a fix. Lexus has failed miserably to remedy the problem many of us have experienced with transmission for so long now.

The problem, that still exists and appears will never be fixed, is an utter lack of power when the gas pedal is pressed firmly at around 40mph and dangerously the RPMs shoot up as high as 5,000 RPM almost to red line. The gear then sticks and only when you take the foot off the gas pedal do the RPMs come down and the gear then "pops" into place.

Scary stuff when you are trying to pass a big rig while merging onto the highway going 40-60mph. There's not much time to react going this fast and only time will tell when someone will get seriously hurt from this severe problem.

The "fix" with this TSB, if you will, fixes only the cosmetic and more noticeable poor driving characteristics of the transmission so many of us unfortunate 2002-2003 ES300 owners have experienced over the last year and half. The shift points have changed, allowing for the vehicle to more appropriately adjust to our driving styles. The hesitation, shuddering, and fumbling for gears is not as pronounced as before. However, as I have said above, this is no fix for the more serious problem with our transmissions. Which is the considerable loss of power in acceleration with the RPMs going to dangerous levels while driving above 40mph.

Signed-

Very Irritated and Disappointed Lexus Customer"