1995 Ls400

LS4hundy

I just bought a 1995 ls400 with 68k miles on it. :D The car is immaculate!!!! I used to valet cars when i was in college and my favorite cars of the millions we parked were the s class benz and the ls400. Sorry if im blabbin but i am pumped. Is anything you guys or gals reccomend i get checked or somwething to look out for. I knoe the timing belt has to be changed along with the water pump. Should i do the timing belt now since the car is 11 years old??Any advice would help. I will def post some pics when i get to my computer at home.

I just bought a 1995 ls400 with 68k miles on it. :D The car is immaculate!!!! I used to valet cars when i was in college and my favorite cars of the millions we parked were the s class benz and the ls400. Sorry if im blabbin but i am pumped. Is anything you guys or gals reccomend i get checked or somwething to look out for. I knoe the timing belt has to be changed along with the water pump. Should i do the timing belt now since the car is 11 years old??Any advice would help. I will def post some pics when i get to my computer at home.

Nice ride - show us some pics.

Based on age, it wouldn't hurt to get the belt done sooner rather than later. I think that's still a non-interference engine so it wouldn't kill the engine if the belt broke, but it would leave you stranded.

hundy:

You're probably OK for a while, but I wouldn't let it go too long. You've got really low miles, but the belt gets brittle with age, so it's really the age in your case that is the criteria for changing it. Change the main/crank seal & the cam seals, water pump, idlers, T/B tensioner, serpentine belt & tensioner as well. You might as well throw a new brush set into the alternator while you're there. The set is cheap & the alternator will never be more accessible.

This may be remedial for you, but the term "interference" refers to whether or not pistons will collide with valves if the timing belt breaks. Trust me, my '95 IS interference, so your's will be too. Don't let it go too long because you run the risk of a severely damaged engine($$$$$$$$$$$) if the belt lets go.

hundy:

You're probably OK for a while, but I wouldn't let it go too long. You've got really low miles, but the belt gets brittle with age, so it's really the age in your case that is the criteria for changing it. Change the main/crank seal & the cam seals, water pump, idlers, T/B tensioner, serpentine belt & tensioner as well. You might as well throw a new brush set into the alternator while you're there. The set is cheap & the alternator will never be more accessible.

This may be remedial for you, but the term "interference" refers to whether or not pistons will collide with valves if the timing belt breaks. Trust me, my '95 IS interference, so your's will be too. Don't let it go too long because you run the risk of a severely damaged engine($$$$$$$$$$$) if the belt lets go.

threadcutter, Do you have an est to how much all of this would cost? Also I believe you reccomended getting the timing belt done asap. Thanks alot fellas, ill take some pics as soon as i can

hundy:

threadcutter, Do you have an est to how much all of this would cost? Also I believe you reccomended getting the timing belt done asap. Thanks alot fellas, ill take some pics as soon as i can

you from seattle, where do you take your car?

you from seattle, where do you take your car?

hundy:

In no particular order; I live on Camano Island, north of Arlington, south of Mt. Vernon. I take my car to "my garage". I don't want to give you the impression that you're sitting on a bomb, because you're not. I just wouldn't put off getting the T/B belt changed until 90 or 100K because of the age of the belt now. But your probably OK getting it changed within the next 6 months/15K miles.

I'd suggest that you downlaod the service manual, figure out what parts you need & order them online.

Service Manual

Online Parts Suppliers

I'd also suggest finding (If you don't already have one) a good independant mechanic. I'm not likely to ever take my car to the dealer unless I have no other choice. These cars are now so well documented that just about all "Indies" have direct Internet access to all kinds of documentation/manuals. I had been using a shop by the name of Fleet Service in Everett, but he seems to have gotten real expensive all of a sudden.

In the greater Seattle area, I'd bet that the Stealers will want $1,300 to $1,500 to do it. If you buy the parts, a good Indie should be in the range of $550 to $750 for labor. My guess is that parts will be $450'ish. I'd recommend buying genuine Lexus parts online. I'd stay away from cheap Chinese aftermarket T/B's for fairly obvious reasons. The savings from buying aftermarket parts vs OEM compared to the labor is just not worth it. Buy genuine Lexus.....................

I have a 91 LS400, 105,000 miles original timing belt and water pump. Also, a '86 Corolla, 70,000 miles, original timing belt and water pump. Both cars were purchased faily recently and previously owned and driven by seniors. I believe Toyota timing belts routinely last 15-20 years or 120,000 miles IF they cars were driven by easy going, non aggressive drivers.

thread, you the man!!!!I appreciate all the suggestions from everybody here. I will never drive another car other than a lexus so I plan on using this site for a very long time and help out others in the future. Ill put some pics up tonight when I get home

thanks fellas

Nice car.. A few months ago I had my serpentine, WP and timing belt done for 700 bucks.

theres this shop in seattle called wolfs garage. The guy used to work for lexus and he qouted me at about $800 for the belt and wp. I know another guy who will do it for cheaper but i figure the wolf knows the cars well. I tried to put up pics of my car but the its rather im retarded :wacko: or the system wouldnt let me. If you have any advice, that would be great. I really want to put up my pics