Interesting- Vibration Issue

I happened to be on e-bay looking at a 1998 lexus gs400 and noted one of his upgrades was Daizen control arm bushings (As I read there is a kit available). THere is also a disxcussion thread at http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php...697#post1909697 Since I have used LOC for all of my info and have never been mislead, I am bringing this to the group. I have very slight vibration upon braking and had a lot of vibration at 60 mph that seemed to improve once past 65-70. Don't do much hwy travel so not too much of an issue. It improved with an alignment and balance but not totally. On this thread they spoke of the symptoms of vibration being attributed to rotors, suspension, alignment, etc.

Does anyone know if 1) the control arm bushing issue is a valid observation/argument and 2) how difficult is it to replace the bushings on a 1998 GS400 (I have the manuals)?

I have about 56,000 on the odo and am intrigued by the possibility. Thanks.

I have 105K miles on my 1998 and still have the original bushings. Any and all vibration I ever had was corrected with tires and or proper rotor service. Just my $0.02.

I have 105K miles on my 1998 and still have the original bushings. Any and all vibration I ever had was corrected with tires and or proper rotor service. Just my $0.02.

Me again. I thought the last time I trued the left rotor to .003 inches I had solved the problem, but;. It was smooth as glass up to 115. The next day I drove to work again on the bypass at 65 to 75 and the vibration was back. The only difference was the tire had set overnight and were cool. Not real cold. Probably 65 F. I have a new set of Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE 225/55R16, put on just before I bought it. Less than 1500 miles on them. They do have steel belts. Mounted by one of the big local dealers. Should know what they are doing. Swapped the fronts this morning and they seemed better. Since I have seen different tires pull or handle differently depending on where they were mounted. Work in progress. Since I have fooled with cars since my 49 Mercury, and 53, I think Red Ram Dodge contervitable, yes with a HEMI, and it was a real dragster. I swap tires while cleaning the windscreen. So I wish I knew. Will keep everyone updated, and will look at all tips. They're free. Ken

Me again. I thought the last time I trued the left rotor to .003 inches I had solved the problem, but;. It was smooth as glass up to 115. The next day I drove to work again on the bypass at 65 to 75 and the vibration was back. The only difference was the tire had set overnight and were cool. Not real cold. Probably 65 F. I have a new set of Cooper Lifeliner Touring SLE 225/55R16, put on just before I bought it. Less than 1500 miles on them. They do have steel belts. Mounted by one of the big local dealers. Should know what they are doing. Swapped the fronts this morning and they seemed better. Since I have seen different tires pull or handle differently depending on where they were mounted. Work in progress. Since I have fooled with cars since my 49 Mercury, and 53, I think Red Ram Dodge contervitable, yes with a HEMI, and it was a real dragster. I swap tires while cleaning the windscreen. So I wish I knew. Will keep everyone updated, and will look at all tips. They're free. Ken

Just read all that about the Castor Arm bushing. Will look into it. Appreciate all information anyone has. Ken

Many 98 GS 400's had a vibration problem.

I don't know what it turned out to be but it took Lexus nearly a year to find and fix the problem.

But I sold it, Lexus could not fix it and the car by that time and it was taken back.

I would ask Lexus, I'm sure there is a TNN out because, as I said, there was a problem and it's now fixable