Antenna Won't Shut Off When Reftracted

Hi,

I enjoy your forum and I hope you guys can help my 92 SC400.

I had a broken antenna mast; no problem I put in a new mast and seems to work fine except when it goes down the motor keeps running for 10 seconds or so just grinding away teeth against teeth. Then it seems to time out and stop.

To me it sounds like the antenna control is not sensing the load at the retracted limit and is not shutting down the motor. Anyone worked on this?

I could install a generic power antenna but looks like running the coax to the head unit will be a pain. I'm pretty good at soldering; anyone ever splice the coax or take apart and reconnect to the antenna?

Thanks in advance,

Dave McK.

Hi,

I enjoy your forum and I hope you guys can help my 92 SC400.

I had a broken antenna mast; no problem I put in a new mast and seems to work fine except when it goes down the motor keeps running for 10 seconds or so just grinding away teeth against teeth. Then it seems to time out and stop.

To me it sounds like the antenna control is not sensing the load at the retracted limit and is not shutting down the motor. Anyone worked on this?

I could install a generic power antenna but looks like running the coax to the head unit will be a pain. I'm pretty good at soldering; anyone ever splice the coax or take apart and reconnect to the antenna?

Thanks in advance,

Dave McK.

Bump

This doesn't ring a bell?? Looks like I have to buy the whole antenna w/motor and deal with fishing the coax to the HU. Please let me know otherwise.

Thanks in advance,

Dave McK>

It sounds like you need a new antenna, again. Is it a factory antenna or a PepBoys product?

If it's a factory unit, be sure that you've connected all three connectors, Radio, Motor, and another one I can't remember where it goes.

I replaced the mast in my 94 SC400 a couple of weeks ago. In the process of determining "how to" I came across as description by someone who retrofitted an after market retractable antenna into a Lexus. The guy made it work, but with allot of difficulty. The Lexus antenna retractor has a relay assembly (black box mounted above the motor) that gets an intermittent voltage signal from the head unit. It even adjusts the hight of the mast depending on the frequency of the station. An after market unit can't deal with all this. I suspect you would be better off to get a real Lexus retractor from a junk yard than try to install a generic unit.