Speaker Configuration - Standard Vs. Premium

I'm curious about the speaker configuration betweeen the "standard" Lexus stereo system and the optional Mark Levinson system. The service manual says the Mark Levinson Premium Audio system has 14 speakers - including a center speaker in the middle of the dash. The standard system is not supposed to have this center channel speaker. I have the standard system (no navagation system or Mark Levinson system) yet I do have the central speaker in the dash. Otherwise, the configuration matches what the manual says - the standard system has a tweeter, mid-range and woofer in each of the rear doors, while the Mark Levinson has only a tweeter and mid-range in the rear doors (with 2 extra "satellite" speakers - along with the sub-woofer) on the rear deck. Maybe the service manual is not current with what is being built. Do other owners with the standard system have the central channel speaker? I like the sound a lot - I traded an ES-330 with the Mark Levison package, and I think the standard system in my IS-350 sounds better.

David

I'm curious about the speaker configuration betweeen the "standard" Lexus stereo system and the optional Mark Levinson system. The service manual says the Mark Levinson Premium Audio system has 14 speakers - including a center speaker in the middle of the dash. The standard system is not supposed to have this center channel speaker. I have the standard system (no navagation system or Mark Levinson system) yet I do have the central speaker in the dash. Otherwise, the configuration matches what the manual says - the standard system has a tweeter, mid-range and woofer in each of the rear doors, while the Mark Levinson has only a tweeter and mid-range in the rear doors (with 2 extra "satellite" speakers - along with the sub-woofer) on the rear deck. Maybe the service manual is not current with what is being built. Do other owners with the standard system have the central channel speaker? I like the sound a lot - I traded an ES-330 with the Mark Levison package, and I think the standard system in my IS-350 sounds better.

David

I have the standard system in my IS250 and I think it sounds quite good. Mine also has the center speaker in the dash...or at least it has the grill for it. I'll have to check and see if sound actually comes out of it.

David

I have the standard system in my IS250 and I think it sounds quite good. Mine also has the center speaker in the dash...or at least it has the grill for it. I'll have to check and see if sound actually comes out of it.

Both sound nice and both are great stereos.... but....

You WILL notice a difference if you insert a DVD-Audio CD into the ML system.

Plus, with the stock system, you lose the DVD Movie capability. :cries:

I'm holding out for the ML

David

Both sound nice and both are great stereos.... but....

You WILL notice a difference if you insert a DVD-Audio CD into the ML system.

Plus, with the stock system, you lose the DVD Movie capability. :cries:

I'm holding out for the ML

Yup... I was holding out for the ML... but then gave up.... I love the sound on the standard.... but I would love to put in some Music Videos... or Pink Floyd Pulse.... and have it playing :cheers:

When the IS500 comes out... I'll make sure I get the ML on it!!! that is if it ever comes out!!

its just a grille up front. there are 3 speakers in ach door and one sub in the rear deck.

• 7 years later...

i previously owned a 2008 es350 and it had the center speaker active. the surround and midrange was beautiful (lexus premium) . now i own a 2010 lexus es 350. the center speaker is only used for navigation. does someone have any idea if the audio can be routed through this one. the 08 es sound quality was awesome. also to note that the 2010 cabin is ery noisy

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...