90 Ls 400 Timing Belt Replacement

hyuntak

my friend has a 1990 ls 400 v8. anyways i was wondering how hard it is to do a timing belt on these... and also if there is a write up for it. i tried to look but couldnt find any on 90 ls.. also i believe there is special tool that is needed, so i needa know if you can get it any where

my friend has a 1990 ls 400 v8. anyways i was wondering how hard it is to do a timing belt on these... and also if there is a write up for it. i tried to look but couldnt find any on 90 ls.. also i believe there is special tool that is needed, so i needa know if you can get it any where

Hi,

From the previous reply here's the link

http://www.lexls.com/tutorials/engine/timingbelt.html

Not an easy project though

Cheers,

Steve

lol. you just beat me to it.... i just looked at it. but how do you remove the crankshaft pulley bolt?? wouldnt the crank turn as you are trying to break the bolt loose with the breaker bar?

did you see the torque on that bolt. my suggestion get a power tool. some say use the ground the pivoit the breaker bar the crank the engine, while others fear this like the plague. the lexus tech said you can place a piece of wood in the engine to stop the moving parts (search for more info). good luck with either.

i do have a 1/2 impact gun. but i was afraid if there will be enough space for me to put my 1/2 in there. i was just wondering if there is a special tool or any other way to hold the crank while i try to break it with a breaker bar.... the project doesnt seem too bad. at least you have space in the front unlike 4 banger hondas

Hi hyuntak,

If you have some srap metal lying around and a welder. You can make a tool very easily to fit the spokes in the pulley. The bar can the rest against something solid while you undo the bolt for the pulley. You will need this homemade tool to torque up the bolt to the proper specs when assembling. It worked well for me.

Daffy

I just had the timing belt and water pump replaced by my local indie, and I was amazed what he had to do to get that bolt out. He heated continually it with a torch, and even then it wouldn't move. So he called me, and said he was afraid of snapping the head off. Which would be a total disaster. I told him to keep trying, and he eventually got it off. So I had him buy a new bolt, since I could imagine him torquing the old bolt tight, and breaking the head off.

Anyway, the repair, which I was tempted to do myself, went well otherwise. Cost me a bundle, but the car runs great. Just be careful with that bolt.....

For only $20 you can get a "Irwin Vise Grip" brand Locking Chain Clamp (wrench) at Harbor Freight to hold the crank pulley still while using a 22 mm six point socket on a long breaker bar to loosen the pulley bolt. Wrap the pulley grooves with an old timing or sepentine belt to protect it from abrasive damage and to help the chain grip the pulley firmly. The chain wrench technique can also be used to tighten the crank pulley bolt when you are finished with the timing belt job. One possible caveat - I am not 100% sure the chain wrench mentioned about is large enough to fit the LS400 crank pulley - I think it is but I'm not positive. I've only used this wrench on some 4 cylinder Toyota motors to change their timing belts

• 2 weeks later...

You can use an hormonic balancer pulley to remove the crankshaft pulley. You can borrow one from Autozone or Checkers. I actually borrowed one from them to use to replace my crankshaft pulley, but decided to just pay a local mechanic $85 to do it for me.