Starting Problem

Hi all, I have a 99 GS400.lately but only some times when I go to start I get a single click,but engine does not turnover. if I turn the key several times I get a click then it turns over and starts fine. I don't know it its the battery because it seems to turn over fine most of the time,but it is the original battery. I thought it might be the terminals but I cleaned them and it was ok for a while ,but just today I got the click first thing this morning. but it started ok after a few clicks. anybody have any idea what might be going on. thanks for any suggestions.

You need a starter. This problem has been mentioned many, many times in this forum. The GS400 starter is labor intensive to change, thus expensive.

To do the job by the book, at least 3 hours is required. New gaskets for the throttle body and intake manifold will be needed. The engine coolant must be drained somewhat and refilled.

Some people (in these forums) claim that it is possible to remove the starter without removing the intake manifold. I cannot see how or why you would want to put yourself through that. Then again, anything is possible.

You need a starter. This problem has been mentioned many, many times in this forum. The GS400 starter is labor intensive to change, thus expensive.

To do the job by the book, at least 3 hours is required. New gaskets for the throttle body and intake manifold will be needed. The engine coolant must be drained somewhat and refilled.

Some people (in these forums) claim that it is possible to remove the starter without removing the intake manifold. I cannot see how or why you would want to put yourself through that. Then again, anything is possible.

Thank you for your reply. are there any detailed instructions on this forum, I tried the search but only found for a GS 300 which didn't mention the intake manifold. is this something I can do or should I take it in. it is a 1999 GS400 with 92,000 mi. thanks again

good luck if you plan on doing this. i did mine last weekend. it is very easy except when you actually remove the starter. There are 3 bolts that are long and hard to remove and even harder to tighten. i used a swivel head ratchet, but it stil was retarded. u need to remove the intake manifold unless you are some sort of contortionist.

good luck if you plan on doing this. i did mine last weekend. it is very easy except when you actually remove the starter. There are 3 bolts that are long and hard to remove and even harder to tighten. i used a swivel head ratchet, but it stil was retarded. u need to remove the intake manifold unless you are some sort of contortionist.

I dont think very easy is a fair description.

ok not that easy but easier than taking off the 3 bolts that hold the starter in place.

if i were to do it again i would reuse the old gaskets and just change the contacts first to see if it works. if it does work then i would install the new gaskets and return the starter. if i'm correct then you can check the contacts by removing 2 bolts on the front...if im not then just forget this and replace the starter.

cost difference is $5-$10 for the contacts vs $200+ for the starter.

Thanks to all. I haven't decided if I will do this myself. I checked some local shops for estimates and here is what I found.

1. only lexus dealer in town-to replace starter= 1400.00

2. private shop works on japanese only- replace starter=585.00 with reman. bosch starter. 685.00 with reman. denso starter. bosch 2 yr. warranty, denso 1 yr. warranty

3. private shop imports only- remove starter,check starter may only need contacts if so=375.00 if I have it done I will probably use this shop obviously because of price,and they were the only one to mention the contacts are known to be a problem. again thank you especially for the link to the starter replacement PDF

Its been about 2yrs. since I changed my contacts and my starter hasnt missed a lick.If you do replace it dont use the Bosch.Just a personal preference but I have never had a Bosch part work as it should.And as for the warranty thats only on the parts not labor so if that bosch fails yeah your part is covered but not the labor.Good Luck.

Here is something you might find interesting when I changed mine I took the upper manifold off the lower and cleaned it and the TB and could not believe the power it freed up prob. more than any single mod. Ive done.Just something to think about.

Well I decided to do this myself today. I got the intake off and the starter removed. quite a job. I took the manifold apart ,as suggested in the post above,and cleaned everything nice and shiny. I am putting a new starter from lexus in. I didn't want to just replace the contacts as the car has over 90k,and I sure don't want to do this again. its not rocket science but it does take time and patience.I don't see how the starter could be removed without removing the intake. thanks to all who helped by providing info.

Well I decided to do this myself today. I got the intake off and the starter removed. quite a job. I took the manifold apart ,as suggested in the post above,and cleaned everything nice and shiny. I am putting a new starter from lexus in. I didn't want to just replace the contacts as the car has over 90k,and I sure don't want to do this again. its not rocket science but it does take time and patience.I don't see how the starter could be removed without removing the intake. thanks to all who helped by providing info.

Be sure to clean the TB and post back and let us know what you think.Congrats.

Ok everything is back together,and she is running fine. I did clean the TB. seems to be a lot smoother than before.it takes awhile but it gives you the oppurtunity to get to know your car,and you can appreciate why a shop charges what they do to do this job.

well I finally got a chance to drive about 150 miles on the highway today, and I can say the smoothness and the acceleration are much improved. thanks to new big400 for the advice to take apart the intake and clean it while I had it off.