Starting Problem

hey guys, I have about 143 000 kms on my 1993 sc 400, recently it has been acting up (like on the highway it decides to go where it wants, I had the tires changed and it helped a bit but it still feels like its going to slip when I am going around 140 kms on the highway)

the problem I was wondering about though, is recently when I start the car it takes longer for the engine to start and it makes a horrible noise until it is started. once it is going the noise stops and everything seems fine, I was wondering whether this may be the starter. it is NOT the battery I checked that already and I already had my alternator changed.

any help with the problem would be appreciated (even the wobblyness on the highway problem)

hey guys, I have about 143 000 kms on my 1993 sc 400, recently it has been acting up (like on the highway it decides to go where it wants, I had the tires changed and it helped a bit but it still feels like its going to slip when I am going around 140 kms on the highway)

the problem I was wondering about though, is recently when I start the car it takes longer for the engine to start and it makes a horrible noise until it is started. once it is going the noise stops and everything seems fine, I was wondering whether this may be the starter. it is NOT the battery I checked that already and I already had my alternator changed.

any help with the problem would be appreciated (even the wobblyness on the highway problem)

Check the ball joints especially the front lower ball joints. Bad ball joints will allow the car to do that. That would be the first thing to check. Also, once the engine is started does the starter sound like it stays engaged for an extra second too long in addition to the noise upon starting?

basically it sounds like the engine takes longer to start, and it sounds like it is grinding on something before it starts

like I will turn the key, then it takes like 1-2 secs to start then I let go of the key

usually it used to just start right away and I could turn and let go of key

now it makes a noise and takes longer to start

ther starter has 2 bolts i believe and they are a bit of a pain to get too... but the job can be done from underneath the car....it will involve much complaining and cursing. Go to NAPA auto parts to pick up a starter...you can get one for around $100. Def a do it yourself job. good luck

no not for the 400.

the job is a pain in the butt! the starter motor is under the intake manifold between the "V" on the block. its not too hard a job, but time consuming. its about a $1200-1400 job at the dealer. starters can be rebuilt or bought new almost anywhere.