performance

LS40091

• 1 month later...

there are some options you could try. I'm looking into this too.

1) try putting a K&N filter on the car

2) get a 2.5-3.0 inch exhaust pipe. Check regulations in your state.

3) finally, there is a chance you could add a supercharger, but nobody has experimented with the LS400. The issue that one might have with the supercharger is whether it will clear the hood. Someone has put a supercharger on an SC400, which is the exact same engine as the LS

These are some of the things I am going to be tinkering with once my brake kit is done.

Thks UCF3.

I would try the K&N, I'll check on it.

Is there a good exhaust system available that is bolt on, not too loud, and good for some extra HP? I like the idea of bolt on so I could return to stock if needed. I don't mind a little good sound, but for loud I turn to my '88 Mustang coupe w/ 5.8 L EFI.

I would do the supercharger, if there was a sanitary way, a well engineered system. I don't want to cut the hood. I have installed motors and so that would be fun, putting a charger on the LS. But I want to maintain the quality and reliablity of the LS400, just add 100 or so hp, a roots type blower would be great, for more low end and just all around hp. Something like on the Ford Lightning and new '03 Cobra cars. Factory looking and well thought out. Seems though that the cost for it might be high, we'll need to do some research!

THnks!

I know the K&N filter is available. I saw it on an SC400, whose engine is the same as the LS400.

No exhaust won't add extra horsepower to the stock engine because they're isn't a need for it yet. I would add it if you are willing to get the supercharger or a turbo like this guy at the link below. Unfortunately, his car is illegal because he lacks a catback. He's using a Magnaflow without the catback, but his exhaust sounds very deep throuty. It might not be the sound you're looking for.

http://www.lextreme.com/Video.htm

I don't think you'll find any bolt-ons because Toyota markets this car as a luxury car, and the ones from japan won't do us any good. You will most likely have to customize the exhaust with a barrel or chamber design.

Since my car has 172000 miles on the ODi, my biggest upgrade will happen when the engine is ready to be changed, and I'm hoping to get a 4.3 from the GS430, add a turbo or supercharger, and change the exhaust and chip to support the upgrades.

Since you have a stang, and I'm not sure whether you're interested in getting performance parts for it, I would highly recommend finding out technical specs on what kind of catback they are using to work with turbos or superchargers. This way, we might be able to find a manufacturer of catback exhausts who are willing to work on a catback for our cars.

I hope this helps to some degree.

I know the K&N filter is available. I saw it on an SC400, whose engine is the same as the LS400.

No exhaust won't add extra horsepower to the stock engine because they're isn't a need for it yet. I would add it if you are willing to get the supercharger or a turbo like this guy at the link below. Unfortunately, his car is illegal because he lacks a catback. He's using a Magnaflow without the catback, but his exhaust sounds very deep throuty. It might not be the sound you're looking for.

http://www.lextreme.com/Video.htm

I don't think you'll find any bolt-ons because Toyota markets this car as a luxury car, and the ones from japan won't do us any good. You will most likely have to customize the exhaust with a barrel or chamber design.

Since my car has 172000 miles on the ODi, my biggest upgrade will happen when the engine is ready to be changed, and I'm hoping to get a 4.3 from the GS430, add a turbo or supercharger, and change the exhaust and chip to support the upgrades.

Since you have a stang, and I'm not sure whether you're interested in getting performance parts for it, I would highly recommend finding out technical specs on what kind of catback they are using to work with turbos or superchargers. This way, we might be able to find a manufacturer of catback exhausts who are willing to work on a catback for our cars.

I hope this helps to some degree.

• 6 months later...

I dropped the K&N filter in my dad's 93 LS400, he noticed no difference. I don't have a Lex, so I wouldn't be expecting much w/o more work, but I know that you can do more. I have been looking at engine mods, since my dad is interested in more power. The Japenese mods on the Toyota Soarer engine look to be interesting. Example (from June Super Street magazine, June 2003): '99 Toyota Soarer; HKS cams, Metal Flow intake, exhaust manifold, cam gear, ignition, spark plugs, GT30 Pro S turbo, and Type R intercooler, Yashio 3-layer radiator, T&E Legerfort titanium muffler, Toyota 540cc fuel injectors, Sard fuel injector, Bosch fuel pump... Anybody ever thought about stuff like this?

is there a K&N filter for 96 ls 400? my friend got one for his 98 gs 400 but i was not able to find it for mine, also as to supercharger for my car, people in the performance shop told me that my engine is too big and there is no space to put it unless i have around 15k for some expensive mods. they told me that for V8 japanese engine it is really hard to put anything under the hood. as to exaust, is there any particular model?