Horror Story...toyota Dealership

okay so i took my 98 GS 400 to toyota for a timing belt change i have 90,000 miles and they just called me and told me that as the mechanic was working on my car the new timing belt broke and *BLEEP*ED my engine up ... it turns out that the mechanic was a rookie ... 3 days on the job ... *BLEEP*ING IDIOTS ... the only LEXUS in the piece of *BLEEP* dealership and they got the *BLEEP*IN ROOKIE working on it ... JESUS CHRIST ... man i got the regional vice president of Toyota USA involved ... i demanded that they take my car to a lexus dealership and they said they would ... but the owner of the dealership called me up and told me it would be a better idea to leave it there ... and that he would get his shop forman who is Lexus certified to work on it ... WHY DIDN"T THEY DO THAT IN THE FIRST PLACE ... so i said no way you people are too incompetent to change a *BLEEP*IN TIMING BELT i'm not letting you guys work on my enginge ... so he said look i'm going to level with you ... you really don't want to take it to another dealer because if something *BLEEP*s up ... there will be alot of fingure pointing ... so i told him the only way i will allow my car to be worked on in his dealership is if he gives me a written gauruntee on his work for the next 4 years ... that is how long i have left on my car payments ... so he agreed ...

is there anything i should know?

what will this do to my babies life span?

i had a tranny rebuilt done on my Jaguar XJ6 and it was downhill after that ... is this what will happen with an engine rebuilt ...? a few people tell me that an engine rebuilt with new parts is actually a good thing ... how can that be?

can i still street race or will this put too much strain on a rebuilt engine?

i'm so upset ... why did they have to *BLEEP* my car up?

and if your wondering why i took it to Toyota in the first place ... well i will tell you.

the Lexus dealer on Scottsdale wanted 1500 with a water pump ...

the toyota dealer in Phoenix ... Camelback Rd. and 13th street said they would do it for 399 just the timing belt ... how could i refuse?

Shoe

Sorry to hear.I belive it was only a few wekks ago we had this same conversation on a Toyota dealer damaging a 300 engine.Maybe this is a sign it is not a good idea to take your Lexus to a toyota dealer.

I wonder if Corvette owners take them to Buick stores to get them serviced??Prob. not.Point is Lexus techs see these cars all day long and know what to look for and how to properly diagnose,it may cost more but as the saying goes you get what you pay for.

Sounds like the valves got bent when the belt broke. They have to pull of the heads and replace some valves. Lots of work, so make sure everything looks correct before you drive away.

Toyota generally does fine, you just got the idiot of the week, Sorry to hear about engine. Make sure they fix it right, and have them give you a guarentee as you requested, You will know if anything is wrong in a year, but if you can stretch 4 years more power to you. And make sure it has a new timing belt, etc.

Btw on this previous case of a blown motor I recall saying I wouldnt accept a used motor and everyone seemed to think it wasnt a big deal.Well heres a good example of why I wouldnt, an insurance company was supposed to provide a used motor for a customer who had lost there engine in a flood.The bad motor had 50k and they found a used motor with 20k to install.When the motor arrived and the vin was ran it showed the motor had a service history for 90k.So once again I wouldnt accept a used motor!It sound like theyre going to rebuild yours and if so I would have a Lexus master certified tech do the work.Whatever you do get a long warranty dont settle for this 6 month :censored:

yeah they really wanted to keep the car in their shop ... i told the GM of the dealership and service department that i needed a 4 year warranty on the engine ... because i am paying 300$ a month for the next 4 years ... and i'll be damned if i have to pay for a car i can't drive ... and he seemed very sympathetic towards my situation ... so far they have handled it well ... i just have my fingures crossed that the end will come out okay ...

but from the experienced guys ... how long do engines generally last when they go through something like this ... ?

Why would you let a Toyota dealership work on your car? Most of the toyota techs i know wouldn't touch the vvt-i on inline 6 and V8. Best of luck.

JPI

IF they have problem fixing lexus (which majority of the parts have toyota on it) THen why do they take your money. They should have a sign saying toyota's only!