Will Not Run

arthurch

help me

I have a 1991 ls 400,driving home and out of the blue i lost power,vibrating,made it home check transmission fuild it was very hot, and low so i fill it up again, still running ruff,no power.drove down the street could not get no faster then 60,and it was slow then.turn around came home look under the car and the cat.on the driver sine was fire red,let it cool down,and check the fuild(trans)showed over full,drain some fuild out and started driving again same thing.(had a tune-up about two weeks ago used 93 gas only)

NEED SOME HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cries:

the tranny overheating could be why the cat was red hot. u may need a new tranny. does it feel like the engine or the tranny is the problem? u should be able to feel where the vibration is coming from.

There is nothing wrong with your transmission. Trans oil is normally hot enough to burn you.

The red hot cat indicates excessive unburned fuel leaving the engine, and the misfire would cause that. It may be as simple as a bad ignition coil. Don't drive it any further - you may damage the cat by overheating it more. Have the car towed to a shop that has a good chance of properly diagnosing it. Perhaps the shop that "tuned" it.

There is nothing wrong with your transmission. Trans oil is normally hot enough to burn you.

The red hot cat indicates excessive unburned fuel leaving the engine, and the misfire would cause that. It may be as simple as a bad ignition coil. Don't drive it any further - you may damage the cat by overheating it more. Have the car towed to a shop that has a good chance of properly diagnosing it. Perhaps the shop that "tuned" it.

Hi,

You have described exactly some of the symptoms happening to my son 91 LS400 few weeks ago. Turned out that it needed a tune up. Cost me $2500 for:

1. new coils

2. new wires

3. new cap

4. new time belt

5. new water pump

6. new idlers

etc...

(see my previous posts)

Car running fine now and returning 20mpg city, 27mpg hway

found out that the soil wire was pinch in two\replace running fine

thanks to all

Great job fixing it! You only replaced what was needed, and all is well. Congrats :cheers: