Timing Belt

boogieman

At 100,100 miles my timing belt hasn't been changed. Dealer wants about $1850 to do it. A local Lexus only shop (ex-dealer service employees) wants $1250 and includes items the dealer doesn't. My '93 averages just 7150 miles yearly. Obvious low miles suggests lack of abuse and an easy life.

This begs the question: for those that have NOT changed the timing belt/water pump/ idler/ tensioner/accessory drive belt, thermostat, and coolant, how many miles on your car now? Any trepidations at not having the work done yet?

If you have had this service done, at what mileage? Could/should/would you have waited until later? If so, how much later, mileage wise?

Inquiring minds want to know.

At 100,100 miles my timing belt hasn't been changed. Dealer wants about $1850 to do it. A local Lexus only shop (ex-dealer service employees) wants $1250 and includes items the dealer doesn't. My '93 averages just 7150 miles yearly. Obvious low miles suggests lack of abuse and an easy life.

This begs the question: for those that have NOT changed the timing belt/water pump/ idler/ tensioner/accessory drive belt, thermostat, and coolant, how many miles on your car now? Any trepidations at not having the work done yet?

If you have had this service done, at what mileage? Could/should/would you have waited until later? If so, how much later, mileage wise?

Inquiring minds want to know.

My cousin is a factory lexus mechanic, he will do the timing belt, water pump, all tensioner, all the seals, exactly what a lexus dealer would do. He charges $1200. You are getting exactly the lexus mechanic attention but not the lexus dealer pxl. No BS & he gives you all the old parts back so you know he did all the work. IF interested contact me at 917-848-8505

The maintenance manual for my 00 LS says to change the timing belt every 90,000 miles or 72 months (6 years). It may not reach 90,000 miles for several years so under the 72 month rule, the timing belt is due to be changed this coming August.

13 years on a belt may be pushing it although at least a breaking timing belt usually does no damage on a gen 1 LS. No damage was done when the timing belt broke on my 90 LS well short of 90,000 miles.

Your timing belt will last up to 170000 miles. But I've seen many water leaks arond 75k miles. The $1250 price including the 90k correct? Our typical timingbelt and water pump job run around $698.

JPI

I'd go ahead and get it done now. Think of it this way...you only have to do this every 5-6 years. Preventative maintenance is crucial! And get ALL of the work done......belt, tensioners, rotors, etc. You don't want to have to get something minor done in a couple of years. It's very labor intensive and expensive!!