Brake Pad Wear On '03es

Yesterday I brought my 2003 ES for the normal 15,000 mile maintenance. The service advisor told me that 2 things should be changed. One was the AC filter which I declined, since I've had NO foul odors in the cars interior when using the air conditioning.

The thing that really bothered me was he mentioned that the front brake pads should be changed!! My car has about 15,820 miles on the odometer, and I'm basically the sole driver of this car, and my driving habits haven't changed since I traded in my 1994 ES. On this car I drove about 38,000 miles before I needed to change the pads. Has anybody had any experience with short pad life on an '02 thru '06 ES? Personally, I feel that they were just trying to make some money for the dealership and this maintenance was really not necessary. What's your take on this?

I've never gotten more than 15-20k on a set of front pads on this car, and I've seen the used pads myself. Its very hard on brakes.

OK.........but why the discrepancy in brake pad life between a '94 ES compared to an '03 ES? You would assume that brake technology would improve on a newer car.....not get tremendously worse!!!

ask the service guy what % of pads are left. I looked back at my records, on my 15K mile service they noted I had 80% pad left.

Subsequently, I had my front pads changed out at 24,000 due to a TSB. At that time they are about 50% gone. The pads that were put on as part of that TSB are still on and I am at 74,500 miles.

The rear pads are original.

I know that they are both on their last 5%, so I have just bought pads and rotors to do the entire job all at once.

All pads are Toyota brand.

steviej

ps, I change out the ac filter once a year anyway.

And a lot of it has to do with how you drive, majority city driving etc.

As for the differences, could be a lot of things. Changes in pad composition, etc.

And a lot of it has to do with how you drive, majority city driving etc.

As for the differences, could be a lot of things. Changes in pad composition, etc.

As I've said.......it's hard for me to believe that pad life could change so radically on two different year ES's, especially since both cars where driven exactly the same way.

ask the service guy what % of pads are left. I looked back at my records, on my 15K mile service they noted I had 80% pad left.

Subsequently, I had my front pads changed out at 24,000 due to a TSB. At that time they are about 50% gone. The pads that were put on as part of that TSB are still on and I am at 74,500 miles.

The rear pads are original.

I know that they are both on their last 5%, so I have just bought pads and rotors to do the entire job all at once.

All pads are Toyota brand.

steviej

ps, I change out the ac filter once a year anyway.

Stevie-

Would I be entitled to have Lexus change my pads free using the TSB bulletin as an excuse to do this job? ;)

Stevie-

Would I be entitled to have Lexus change my pads free using the TSB bulletin as an excuse to do this job? ;)

Yeah actually LOL, I didn't even think about that. I had my first set done this way too. Just say that you're experiencing vibrating brakes and cite the TSB.

Stevie-

I don't see why not. You are still under warranty and the TSB covers 02-03 ES.

Just tell them that you are experiencing pulsing when you apply the brakes after riding on the highway.

The TSB number is BR002-02

steviej

I just called my Lexus service advisor and I'm sorry to say that they don't honor the TSB to change the pads or rotors anymore. :cries: Thank's for the suggestion though.

Thats bull*BLEEP*, call 1-800-25-LEXUS.

They changed mine at 25k, stevies at the same. Makes no difference that yours is 3 years old, itonly has 15k. I will fax you my invoice where I had it done at 25k if it will help.

Thats bull*BLEEP*, call 1-800-25-LEXUS.

They changed mine at 25k, stevies at the same. Makes no difference that yours is 3 years old, itonly has 15k. I will fax you my invoice where I had it done at 25k if it will help.

Actually, I already called the above telephone number and after much howling on my part they insisted that my car already had the updated parts installed. This was determined by the Vehicle Identification Number. So I guess I'm SOL. :(

What month was yours built? I don't buy it, I got mine after you.

I bought my car 3/27/03. When I get a chance I'll go out to the car and check the date of manufacture.

Like they say, "Go Fight City Hall." :whistles:

mine was done in July of 03. I scheduled it in June but my service manager said I had to wait three weeks until the new pads and rotors were released into inventory. The TSB does have an -02 date so it did come out in 2002.

:blink: I don't know what to say now.

good luck Al.

steviej