1st Gen Front End Bulbs

r3dlin3

Ok guys,

I just went through the 13 pages of the forum, did some searching on Ebay and the internet but still didn't quite get the answers I was looking for.

I am amazed at how a lot of people ask questions here that can be easily answered by referring to your lexus manual or by calling the lexus parts dept. That's what i do when I need to change a bulb.

Anyways.

So I have a 1st gen 1990 LS400.

I've cleared out the signals with clears bought off ebay, will be clearing out the fogs (removing the yellow "covers" on the bulbs and replacing the fog bulbs with the H3 conversions. My sidemarkers are very dim, I'd like to replace them with brighter ones. I would also like to upgrade the headlights to "brighter" ones.

My thing is that I'd like to keep the "theme" of the lights - I want to keep the same "whiteness" that the headlights have right now.

From what I've read the Silverstar headlights are the best bet so far? I have some on my sentra, they work ok. I don't know if they're quite the same "whiteness" as stock but that whiteness is acceptable.

Problem now is that I want the rest of the lights' "whiteness" to match the headlights - I don't want any blueish tinges or yellowing.

Using the silverstars as a guide:

1) What bulb is recommended for the sidemarkers that will match? Should I get a bulb or an LED? If it's an LEDI'd want the LED to be bright and not have the light shining only in 1 direction. I've seen replacements that have multiple leds in them to spread the light. Does anyone have any experience with them? Is it safe to go over the recommended 5 watts rating? maybe 7 watts (if that's available).

2) I need matching bulbs, white colored, for my clear turn signals. Again, matching the headlights. Suggestions? (I know clear turn signals are illegal in CA).

3) I've read up on the fog H3 conversion. I can do that. Will any h3 bulb "match" the headlight?

I'm hoping this post will summarize everything related to front end bulbs for the first gen. It was annoying going through the posts and having to read up on "how do I replace my signal bulb?" No offense to the newbies but jeez, use your owners manual!

I really think an all white front end looks nice and classy and I'm hoping to get some help with this and hoping that this post will be useful to my fellow 1st gen brothers.