Rear Speakers In A 96 Es300?

Hi, newbie here. I am looking to replace my rear speakers in my 96 ES300 and was looking at my rear deck and noticed the grill for the speakers look a bit tough to pop out. I was told the rear speakers cannot be replaced without removing the backseat, does anyone know if this is true? Any help would be appreciated.

If you hadn't figured yet...

1. Lift the back seats(the part where your buttocks sit on), to do this you will have to reach under the seat. You will find a clip thing on the left rear pass. and one on the right rear pass. seat. Just yank the seat off.

2. Unscrew two bolts on each side of the seat backing(not hard to miss). lift backing up.

3. Strip/pull the black pins of the paper board(the rear panel).

4. Pull the side panels off. Just jerk them off. You'll not break anything.

5. Back to the rear panel: the brake lights; pull the paper board back slowly until you see the under bottom of the center brake light. Put two fingers under the edges of the brake light and pull it out(I broke a pin).

6. Once that is done you are pretty much done.

7. Take out the whole 6x9 seats(the black oval with bolts), then unscrew the speaker from it.

8. Reverse to reinstall.

Best I could explain, but once you learn it you will be shocked at how easy it is to remove. really!

• 8 months later...

Yep, gotta remove the whole back seat. Just as a note, once you get access to the speakers, you'll find they are top mount speakers sitting in a plastic craddle. Most aftermarket 6x9's are too big to fit in the sheet metal opening, so you may need to make some spacers. Just a little heads-up.

post-34901-1168740227_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1168740243_thumb.jpg

post-34901-1168740279_thumb.jpg

It looks different, eh? How so?

To remove the third brake light, kneel in the back seat facing the rear of the car... then you just grab it and pull it straight back towards you (towards the front of the vehicle). It has a couple snap retainers that will just let go. It's cake. Here's another post on it: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...;hl=brake+light

Thanks alot man!, i could not actually do it by pur hand strength though... i had to take some kind of wire and put it behind it and put all of my force into it for it to release but i did get it, i put in my new 6x9's and tomorrow im gonna perfect it and clean it out, i didnt wanna waste my saturday night doing it all so i left my back seat out. :cheers:

Wow, sounds like yours was buggar-tight. Glad to hear it came apart decently. Now you can finish out the system... and I hear you on not blowin' your Saturday night on an install, that's what they made these three day weekends for, right?

BTW, I don't have a pic of my final 6x9 install, but here's a pic of the comparison in basket 'girth' from the stock speakers to the Bostons I put in... it was significant in that they wouldn't sit down in the sheet metal openings without spacers to bump them up. I took off the factory top spacer, then made underside spacers out of the plates that came with new speakers (had to cut and fill them to get them to spread to the underside of the speaker). Good luck, man!!

post-34901-1168808650_thumb.jpg

Oh yah my 3rd brake light was tight like no other!!... Those are some very niice 6x9's i bought some that LOOK pretty "cool" and have a little bit of a kick with them.. 150 watts max.. 50 RMS... I had a fun night last night and woke up this morning and finished it all up..

2rcmzo3.jpg

30le1ok.jpg

3 day weekend, i wish.. I am at work already working just like any other day 8 to 5... Saturday night... theres a car story for you guys on here... I wanted to just hang out at a friends house and watch a movie and have a few beers, you know those nights.. so 2 of my other friends come by telling us they are going to a night club, so they try persuading us to go, after about 10 minutes it became a big circle around me, if Ben goes ill go, if vlad goes ill go... so i ended up saying yes after maybe 30 minutes of threats... my friend who drives a 95 S320 Mercedes says that he will drive because its a 45 minute drive, we get on the highway after about 200 feet of the highway on-ramp i hear a loud BOOM! im sitting in the back behind the driver seat so i look out infront of me through the front windshield and all i see is BLACK, i thought i went blind some how or something, after a short minute i realized the hood had flown up, we tried keeping the driver calm to not get hit by oncoming traffic and we got over to the shoulder. We sat and thought about something to do so we had Mercedes roadside on their way while we tried to break the hinges so the hood would close we had another friend come there and he had a hammer so we started to just beat on the hinges so that the hood would somewhat close, we got it down as much as we could and we strapped it down called mercedes and cancelled the tow and drove the car back home doing 30 MPH on the highway til the next exit. SCARIEST EXPERIENCE EVER!!

Man, those are some wild looking speakers!!! They look trick... nice job.

Bummer on being back to work... and even bigger bummer about your bud losin' his hood. Yeah, i've heard of that happening... totally scary. The worse thing I had happen to me was when I lost my drive-line while racing my Chevelle. I was pullin' hard when I heard this 'explosion' under the car. Stuff like that is so strange when it happens (like losin' the hood) because it happens so fast you just kind of freeze for a second not knowing what just happened. It's like you ask, "am I dead? Blind? Did I just lose an arm? Leg?" It takes a second to figure out what happened. Glad to hear you all made it to the curb. I'm guessin' you bailed on the club for the night, eh? :rolleyes:

Bailed on the club? for suree!!! and yah its a bad feeling, what was the explosion under the hood? i guess since im talking to you everything turned out alright?... and yah i thought i went blind or we went under a bridge and something fell on top of us or something, we were in the middle lane and it was raining real bad, Thanks for the comment on the speakers i was hoping they wouldnt look "ricey" now im thinking about getting the illuminated ones for the front doors...? :blushing: