Starting Wierdness

so every 50 starts or so, the engine will turn a fraction of the way over and then *click* no power--it sounds anemic when turning a fraction of the way over, or it just doesn't do anything at all. all I have to do it try it a couple of times, usually no more than 3 or 4 times this electrical wierdness is gone and then it makes a robust, normal starting noise and the engine turns over just fine. This happens so infrequently it isn't a problem now, but is it indicative of a more serious problem?

What is going on?

so every 50 starts or so, the engine will turn a fraction of the way over and then *click* no power--it sounds anemic when turning a fraction of the way over, or it just doesn't do anything at all. all I have to do it try it a couple of times, usually no more than 3 or 4 times this electrical wierdness is gone and then it makes a robust, normal starting noise and the engine turns over just fine. This happens so infrequently it isn't a problem now, but is it indicative of a more serious problem?

What is going on?

I know on the LX-450 the starter contacts can go as early as 75k (of course it's really probably more a function of number of starts). You're symtoms sound similar... inconsistant turnover, starter clicking but engine not turning over, will get worse. I've heard tell of a couple of 80 series landcruisers that have caught fire because the starter contacts were worn all the way down and the starter locked on and overheated... you might want to get it checked.

Rookie

I agree with Rookie. It's most likely your starter contacts going out. If you want to fix it yourself, all you need are the contacts and the plunger. If you prefer the easier, but more expensive solution, you can replace the starter entirely or have it done by a mechanic.

The thing that makes the process a bit more difficult on a LX 470 is that the starter is under the manifold. You'll need to pull it first to access the starter.