Slight Oil Leak - '97 Ls W/ 98,500

sgretchko

My beloved '97 LS seems to be leaking a very small amount of oil. In the last couple of days, I have seen a very thin layer of oil on the garage floor. It is about the size of a saucer (3 to 4 inches around). I originally thought it might be spillage from a recent oil change, but it has persisted for a day or two so I begin to wonder. Any ideas before I visit my infamous local Lexus dealer? Timing belt and major tune-up

done at the dealer about 14,000 miles ago.

My beloved '97 LS seems to be leaking a very small amount of oil. In the last couple of days, I have seen a very thin layer of oil on the garage floor. It is about the size of a saucer (3 to 4 inches around). I originally thought it might be spillage from a recent oil change, but it has persisted for a day or two so I begin to wonder. Any ideas before I visit my infamous local Lexus dealer? Timing belt and major tune-up

done at the dealer about 14,000 miles ago.

First, you need to figure out where, in regards to engine position, the leak is occuring. If your dealer failed to replace the crank and cam seals, it could be those leaking. No one puts enough emphasis on these being replaced. It is actually MORE labor than a standard timing belt job to replace the seals by about 30 minutes, and they seals cost about $15.00. You do not want to go in there twice for the same job, though this may be late regarding your position.

Regardless, when I did my car the crank and cam seals were leaking very bad, but not near enough to put that much oil the ground. I'm going to bet it is from the oil pan or something, because the rear main seal, valve covergaskets, or cam and crank seals do not tend to leak near that much at a time.

Good luck!

When I took mine in for the service, the service manager told me they never replace those seals. Only if they are leaking. I was a little bothered by this, so he gave me a warranty on the items, he said if it starts leaking, they will replace the seals for free within the next year.