1991 Ls400 Thermostat Removal

weazel8

I am trying to replace the thermostat gasket because I have a leak there. My guestion is how do I get the thermostat out. I have everything removed but do I just pull the thermostat out, it is in there pretty tight.

Yank it out with needle nose pliers or vice grips and throw it away. Get an new genuine Toyota gasket and genuine thermostat gasket for that particular thermostat. The only reason it is leaking now is probably because the prior owner installed an aftermarket thermostat or aftermarket thermostat gasket or didn't use the correct gasket or installed it wrong.

Yank it out with needle nose pliers or vice grips and throw it away. Get an new genuine Toyota gasket and genuine thermostat gasket for that particular thermostat. The only reason it is leaking now is probably because the prior owner installed an aftermarket thermostat or aftermarket thermostat gasket or didn't use the correct gasket or installed it wrong.

Weazel:

Folow Monarch's advice and grab the thermostat with some sort of pliers and give it a good yank straight out.

DO NOT pry it out with a screwdriver because you'll probably end up nicking, scraping or gouging the aluminum mating surface for the cover & you'll have a leak that you'll have to silicone seal as well.

Use the Toyota thermostat because it opens at the correct temperature (Monarch?) whereas, the aftermarket ones open at a higher temperature. The aftermarket stats cause your engine to run hotter than what they were intended to. Not good......