Warped Front Rotors...

mckellyb

On our new-to-us '02 RX300 AWD has ever so slightly warped front brake rotors. In the past, I've found turning them, the process of taking just a little bit off, to make them straight, again (for the uninitiated) tends to allow for them to warp again quickly. Seems shaving weight on cars has gotten some parts to the point of borderline. So it goes.

Has anyone turned these with success, or did you have 'em turned, and a week later, they were warped, again. I'm almost certain it's not a warranty kinda thing, though if it is, let me know, as I'll be both happy and puzzled, which can be an interesting combination. :P

On our '95 Dodge Intrepid ES, we went through 4 sets of rotors before finding a set which didn't warp almost immediately. Of the four, the cross-drilled ones warped the quickest, and what's worse is, they started to *crack* at the holes. Ack!!!!

Thanks for any input,

i am going to say you might need to be allitle gentle with braking for a little bit

until they are bedded in and heat cycled

meaing once they get hot enough and cooled a few times they will becomes stronger

and resist warping more

but it takes time a few weeks

Yeah, you do need several heating/cooling cycles, but on the Intrepid, for example, the car was just too danged heavy for the small rotors they put on it. I mean, with the 16" wheels there is *plenty* of room for more rotor, but it wasn't in MOPAR's budget, at the time. Still, I finally found a set which seem unwarpable, as I've tried, can't do it, and before, it happened while we were being gentle on them. Go figure.

• 11 months later...

I have never experienced the effect you describe, rotors more prone to warping after turning. First car was a 56 Ford purchased in 61, newest experienced is a 92 LS400, turned rotors at about 30k, car is now at 94k.

On the other hand with the manufacturers putting so much effort to improve MPG by lightning the vehicle there may well be rotors now out there in the market that are so light and thin that one turning makes them VERY much more prone to warping.