Tach Needle

boogieman

Welcome, and sorry.

This is an issue, I think mainly on the 93-94 year LS 400, with the tach and spedo. I hear that is is an expensive dealer fix. There is question as to wheather the malfunctioning gauge/s can be fixed. My friend bought a used IC ( cluster assembly ) that the tach worked on and switched it out with his. Then you have to deal with the odometer reading setting. Used IC's go for around $300.00 and up. And there is no guarantee how long they may work.

There is a lot of discussion on the threads here on LOC. Do a search for tach or instrument cluster. To find repair offers and more info.

Took the '93 into the dealer for various issues. When I got it back today, the tach needle registers just fine. I didn't report it to them, so they did nothing speciffic to repair it. Either way, it works well now. Guess I dodged a bullet here!

Man it will keep on happening.. More or less after a few minutes it will work. Also if you wack the dash above the indicators it will work.

You may have a lighting issue when its cold... I just fixed mine by soldering a few capacitors.. Good luck

My 93 LS also has the problem of the tachometer not working at times. This problem oftentimes is associated with the speedometer not working also.

Each year, when the weather gets warm, my tachometer and speedometer start giving trouble. The tachometer can usually be brought to life by rapping on the dash directly above the tachometer display. Sometimes a similar rap above the speedometer display will bring it to life. Other times, I can rap numerous times, and the speedometer will not move. Usually, after I drive for a while, the speedometer will jump to the proper position. However, the next day, the same problem reoccurs.

When the weather gets cool, the problem goes away.

This problem is apparently not related to the very common problem involving the dash display not illuminating when the weather is cool. There are several places that offer repairs for the non-illumination problem. The repairs involve replacing capacitors in the instrument display assembly. However, I have not come up with anyone who offers a repair for the sticking tachometer and speedometer needles.

My needle problems started shortly after I had the non-illumination problem repaired. Is there some kind of relationship here? Are there folks who are having the non-working needle problems who have not had their displays worked on for the non-illumination problem?

Yes, my 93ls lighting was perfect. But my tach seldom worked. Sometimes with a fast acceleration from a stand still my tach would rise, but never above around 2200rpm, a false low. The tach was however more responsive while using the ECT. But still low. As far as hitting the dash above the gages, all that did for me was give a dash squeak. Which did improve after removing and re-installing the IC.

My spedo. worked 99% of the time. But did stick sometimes. Of some intrest to me is the fact that after replacing my IC with a used, but working tach/speedo units, The needles on both stuck three times the first week. Popping up after reaching around 1500rpm. But have been without problems since. Combine this with the hitting the dash solution. Makes me think a connecter contact issue on the back of the IC should be looked at. Maybe a cleaning with electrical contact solution would help. A simple thought, but no real cost involved.

• 3 weeks later...

My Speedo meter needle just quit working yesterday, but everything else work, rightnow I can not tell how fast I am going. I called the dealer this morning they told me to bring in the car for diagnostic, cost $100 bucks and could be more if they need more times for diagnose. At the meantime, I am going to drive like this and try to find the alternative solution.

• 2 months later...

My lights were all working and then i made the mistake of turning the dimmer off high and now the tach needle only lights up half-way. What is the fix for this - can you buy a new needle??? or do you have to go to a junk yard to find one?

thx in advance for any help

My needle problems started shortly after I had the non-illumination problem repaired. Is there some kind of relationship here?

Same here.

Had the non-illumination problem, sent the boards off, got them repaired and now the speedo and tach do not work in the mornings. Once the car gets hot they work 90% of the time.