Best Replacement Tires For Rx330 With Optional 18" Wheels

skyman

I recently bought my wife a pre owned 2005 RX330. It has the optional 18" wheels with 235x55x18 Michelin MXV s8 tires. I have read terrible reviews of these tires in almost every category. I want to replace them with the best choice for all around capability. It seems the number one choice is the Bridgstone Dueler H/L Alenza,which for the most part has gotten great reviews. I have read a handful of comments though that this tire flat spots after sitting overnight, and the that several sets could not be balanced. I would like to hear some feedback from Lexus only owners that have bought this tire. Your comments will be appreciated. I have found that the choices are limited by this tire size. Other then looks,what is the advantage to these optional 18" wheels and tire on the RX330?

Actually the MXV4 S8 is a very good tire, where are you reading horrible reviews?

Some people have bad things to say but thats because they're asking the tires to do things that they aren't designed to do, they're a touring tire and are about the best at delivering a smooth and quiet ride.

• 2 months later...

Actually the MXV4 S8 is a very good tire, where are you reading horrible reviews?

Some people have bad things to say but thats because they're asking the tires to do things that they aren't designed to do, they're a touring tire and are about the best at delivering a smooth and quiet ride.

The Michelins are smooth, reliatively comfortable and quiet, especially when compared to the Eagle RS-As some other RXs have.

However, I bought a luxury SUV for its on-road capabilities strengthened by 4-wheel drive, ABS, and VSC under acceleration and braking. Needless to say, my RX was sliding many times on lightly-snow covered roads under acceleration and worse so, under braking (ABS kicked in many times), especially in its second winter after 20 000kms. My previous SUV, a Honda CRV with 50% tread-Firestone tires and no VSC had far better stability and wet/snow traction than my 70%-tread Michelins. I was able to surpass any sedan even with winter tires from a standing stop. With the AWD RX and Michelins, I can barely keep up with an all-season-tire sedan.

My next tire is a 255/55/18 HTR Sport H/P with 14/32nd tread depth by Sumitomo installed on the stock 18in mags. I want the fatter-tire look and deep-tread to attain the wet/snow traction an SUV ought to have. The Michelins have a shallow 9/32nd depth BRAND NEW! I do expect the Sumitomos to be less smooth though (a little harsher and noisier). I'll also have to install spacers to ensure the front tires don't rub on the inside plastic fender when turned, but that's another story.

As for stock sized all-season tires (235/55/18), I'd get the Bridgestone Dueler Alenza H/R for the same smoothness and comfort as the Michelins. Actually, it appears they may be even more comfortable/smooth. Finally, they not only have a higher treadwear rating and better wet/snow traction, they're also cheaper by about 35$ per tire. At least on paper, the Alenzas are hard to beat. Just go to www.tirerack.com and you'll see it's the best SUV touring tire today. ;)

I recently bought my wife a pre owned 2005 RX330. It has the optional 18" wheels with 235x55x18 Michelin MXV s8 tires. I have read terrible reviews of these tires in almost every category. I want to replace them with the best choice for all around capability. It seems the number one choice is the Bridgstone Dueler H/L Alenza,which for the most part has gotten great reviews. I have read a handful of comments though that this tire flat spots after sitting overnight, and the that several sets could not be balanced. I would like to hear some feedback from Lexus only owners that have bought this tire. Your comments will be appreciated. I have found that the choices are limited by this tire size. Other then looks,what is the advantage to these optional 18" wheels and tire on the RX330?

Not happy with the stock Michelins, try the stock Goodyears that some RX330/350s come out with. ;)