Ac

92ls forhundo

just took my ls to an a/c guy said evaporator is leaking, could be valve inside evap,if so $500, if it is evap $1000 if compressor is bad $2000 :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored: :cries: :cries: :cries: :cries: :cries: :cries: :cries: i guess im doomed as far as a/c is concerned, i love this car but $2000 would be tune-up and shocks and ball joints etc....AAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHH :censored::censored:

What symptoms did the AC system exhibit that prompted you to have it diagnosed? The compressor won't turn on if the amount of refrigerant R12 in the system gets too low, fooling you (and maybe your mechanic) into thinking the compressor is bad. Maybe all you have is a minor seepage leak of R12 in which case you save a ton of $$$ by getting a couple of cans of R12 on ebay, plus a recharging hose with a can tap valve and recharge the system yourself: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mast...echarge.jpgMost Ebay sellers want to see proof of a 609 refrigerant certification and you can get certified for $15.00 by passing a short, 25 question exam online that's offered at http://www.macsw.org/certification.php

Oops, here's the right link: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mast.../ACrecharge.jpg

Good timing for the post, as I am about to resurrect my A/C! :cheers: A quick look at Ebay:

Freeze-12 Freon R12/R134 REPLACEMENT Car KIT

post-21109-1145702955.jpg

I see this product is an acceptable replacement per the EPA and is compatable with R12 systems.

Here is from a FAQ on autorefrigerants.com:

What is the EPA status of Freeze 12 ?

Freeze 12 is EPA acceptable subject to use conditions for mobile vehicle air conditioning.

Are Freeze 12 and Freezone the same?

The two are similar in formulation, but are two different products. TCC only markets Freeze 12.

Is Freeze 12 military approved or approved by TARDAC or MEEP?

No, it is not.

How much will Freeze 12 cost?

It will be priced less than R-12 was in 1995.

What is involved in a retrofit to Freeze 12 ?

The law requires that the existing refrigerant in the system be evacuated and unique fittings and a label be installed with any replacement refrigerant. Also, if the A/C system being converted is equipped with a High Pressure Relief Valve, a High Pressure Cutout Switch must be installed in accordance with EPA SNAP regulations. Use of Freeze 12 does not require that the lubricant or other components be changed.

What is the warranty of a new compressor using Freeze 12 ?

At this time some evaluations are taking place which will determine the warranty situation of a new compressor using Freeze 12. Currently there are no new compressor warranty endorsements for Freeze 12. We expect this to change as there were no new compressor warranties in the beginning for R-134a retrofits and now most compressor manufacturers offer them.

Why should I retrofit an R-12 system with Freeze 12 instead of R-134a?

1. Freeze 12 will cool better than R- 13 4a in most retrofit applications.

2. Freeze has a pressure curve which is close to R-12 while R-134a operates at significantly higher pressures than R- 12.

3. Freeze 12 works with the existing mineral oil and does not require lubricant replacement as R-134a does.

Sounds great, but does anyone know if this will really be safe if used in the old R12 system? There is also a Freeze-12 kit on Ebay that contains leak detection stuff and a recharge system with built in pressure gauge.

I did a search (as I should have before my last post) on Freeze 12 and see there has already been debate on the matter, so please ignore my question! :chairshot:

I plan on trying for the R12 recharge when I get a Round Tuit.

Freeze-12 is a mixture of 80% R134A and 20% R142B so it has all the potential problems associated with R134a conversions like long term incompatibility with the rubber seals and hoses used in R12 systems, incompatibility with the compressor oil used in R12 systems and similar problems which may not show up right away, but will several months or a few years later.

in response to the earlier queries, the a/c is simply not cold never has been since i bought the car, this guy was fairly honest and was recommended from my regular mechanic whom i trust. Basically they filled it up and almost all the gas escaped immediatly through the evap unit, now they said that there could a valve inside the evap that could be the culprit...$500 parts and labor.....or it could be the evap itself...$1000 parts and labor......however the kicker is he said the compressor IS noisy already and if i were to replace that.....$2000.....so $500 is agamble that may or may not solve the issue......and your right i should try another opinion, seeing that this guy was an a/c only shop.....But what if i were to buy an evap unit myself,put it on and then try to have it filled?? is that just no good for some reason????

You're welcome hondo..if you need more advice on ac let me know..Lord knows I went 8 rounds with my 90 when I converted to 134 and all worked out well!! New compressor, Drier and rings. That evaporator seemed troublesome and a nightmare due to location and I was relieved it was not an issue on mine but some threads here address that so use the resources provided herein and hopefully your ride will be smooth sailing and cool at a much...lower cost. ;) If you don't want the aggravation of doing it yourself find a mechanic willing to use parts we find for you. Mine does and I use him when the cost of the tools to get the job done exceeds my limitations...and sweat factor ...Ha, Ha. LOL

good lookin feldes, by the way i never did thank you for the hood shocks, i did recieve them and still havent installed them yet, but much thanks again

Hood shocks? How much do they run. My hood shocks are shot. Are they relatively easy to install? I have a 98.