Need Advice On Ls400 '93

ymt190E

I found a LS400 '93 with 36,000km (22,000 miles approximately). The car is in excellent condition, except for a few scratches on the rear right panel. It is a metallic dark bleu with cream colour leather upholstery. If I buy this car, I intend to keep it for quite some time (hence, its low mileage attracted me) and the primary qualities I am looking for are absolute cabin quietness (i.e. low wind, road and exterior noises), smooth ride and operation, and effortlessness of the drivetrain. Will the LS400 '93 meet my likings?

Furthermore, I listen to music alot in my car. So, I really would like to hook up my iPod in the car. Is it possible with LS400 while keeping the original OEM nakamichi player and sound system? How?

Some people told me that it is better to get a recent model with high mileage than to get an older model with low mileage. Is it true?

Finally, some LS owners said that earlier LS (1990-1994) are better than the later LS400 models but they did say in what way they are better. Is it true that the earlier models are better generally?

Thanks for answering my queries.

The last two years of the gen-1 cars are an excellent choice, and all the better with low miles. I have a '94, and my sister & brother-in-law have a '93. Generally speaking, there are few issues with the car at the mileage of the one you're interested in. But being a teenager, it potentially could have some issues from simple component aging, such as seals and gaskets, fluids, etc. If the tires are original, replace them. They'll be cracking by now. Take the car out for a long drive if you haven't already, and check the car's VIN # with the Lexus dealer to make sure any recalls or service bulletins have been taken care of.

About your sound system. The factory Nakamichi system is okay, but it doesn't like to be pushed. It's good for classical and Kenny G for the most part IMO. If you really love music, I'd suggest a quality aftermarket system. Either way, for your iPod there are adapters available. One adapter is one that loads into the cassette deck, and another (IMO better choice) is an FM modulator. I'm getting an Eclipse system for my car. It has an optional input for an iPod, and can also take a standard memory stick; from which it can play back Mpeg or WAV files. That's basically what an iPod is all about anyway.

If everything checks out on the car, buy it! Hope this helps!

Regards,

Ross

93 is awesome! Owned for one year and love the car.

The comfort, control and feel of the car is awesome!

As for the radio. It is more then loud enough for me. I like music and this system is awesome for 93. I play everything from rap, rock to metal. The car is awesome! If you can find a 93 with those miles buy, buy, buy!

22,000 miles??? I think I would pay up to 9k range for that car.. Maybe a bit more...?