Brakes Or Tie Rod Ends?

ferret

I have a 97' LX450 and the steering wheels shakes while braking. I just balanced the wheels and replaced the rear rotors and pads about 6 months ago with no improvement so I can eliminate those things. Also checked the steering and everything seems OK, the steering feels tight except on bumpy surfaces which I think is normal for this truck, any way check if the tie rod ends are bad? I also pulled the front wheels and spun the rotors but could not see a visible sign of warping? Is warping detectable just by looking? Any other possible causes?

If I were to change the front rotors and pads what's a good after market combo to avoid future warping? Any special tools needed to change the front rotors?

I also pulled the front wheels and spun the rotors but could not see a visible sign of warping? Is warping detectable just by looking?

If you have a dial caliper, you can check the rotor runout. Max. is 0.15 mm, if greater replace rotor.

Not to sure about how to advise you on isolating where the vibration is coming from, but first thing I would look at is warped rotors and wheel alignment.

If I were to change the front rotors and pads what's a good after market combo to avoid future warping?

Most say stick with OEM on these, you can't improve on them much and could certainly do worse. We're not talking about domestic vehicles here where about every part has an aftermarket version that is better. I've heard drilled or slotted rotors are a waste of money. I have switched to 100 series pads on the front for mine. The pad surface is bigger and quite a few folks are going that route for longer pad wear.

Any special tools needed to change the front rotors?

54 mm socket in order to get the hub nut off. You probably should have the FSM procedure handy if you're going to DIY. It's not a difficult job, but there is some important info in there on how to set the preload, otherwise you could fry your wheel bearings. Getting the cone washers to unseat is kind of a pain the first time around.

:cheers:

Rookie