Alternator In 95 Es300

it is 80 amp is the stock power

it is enough to run the car ok

if you are experiancing problems replace the battery and most of the stock power wires as tehy do seem to break down and corrode

also there is a new pulley for the alt on newer models to keep the lights and other accesories from dimming

skperformance,

Could you please type a little slower! I find it very difficult to understand some of your posts because of all the typos and spellings. Thank you, thank you, thank you. :chairshot:

skperformance, thanks for the post. i was actually already told that replacing the alternator wires would help. I heard the stock alternator wires are only 10 gauge and i plan on replacing them with 4 gauge. Also i am thinking about gettin an optima yellow top battery so my problem will hopefully be solved. Are you saying that i should replace my pulley on the stock alternator? How could that help?

no problem amf

by replacing the pulley

to a smaller one it changes its rpm's

and making it spin faster

so that at idle with the old pulley

it is like doing 1200 rpm with the new pulley at idle

just like geasr on a bike

same amount of input but a greater out put of speed

Can you explain to me why Lexus didn't put in a smaller pulley in the first place? I'm sure there must have been a balance between idling and road speeds that made them decide what RPM would be desireable at these different speeds. If you do road speeds with this smaller pulley I think it would put undue strain on the alternator bearings and other internal parts and possibly shorten it's life. If you need extra amperage I suggest you get a heavier duty alternator.

well i have no idea how or why

except from initial inspection it is smaller

there may be newer bearings to handle the load

i think originally it was ok because it gave less drag on the engine at idle for smoothness

but lexus usually doesn't do stuff for no reason

the alternator can only be rewound to about 90 amps

as i have tried to find out from a few places on getting it done

and they all said there is very little room to fit more wiring

unlike most Domestic vehicles

i guess it was fine until the whole car aged and resistance came into play

My '03 ES has a 100 amp alternator. When designing the electrical system manufacturers figure how many amps are needed when using all the accessories so it will keep the battery properly charged. This is based on the resistance of the entire system. Naturally, as a car ages the resistance will probably rise, but at this point the area that causes this rise should be checked out with an ohm meter to find out where the culprit is.