Bluetooth In My 1990 Ls

falciott

Hello fellow members! I will be installing a Motorola Bluetooth blnc IHF1000 in my 1990 LS, pretty sweet kit , but here is my question, is there also a mute pin for my year? I have searched this forum, and i've found a few members talking about a mute pin, but their cars are 95 and newer, none for my years' LS. I plan to integrate the bluetooth with the audio system if it has a mute option, also if it indeed has a mute pin, would you guys know where? Thanx for sharing the knowledge! :whistles:

It is now hard for me to believe that I drove my old 90 LS for almost 14 years and never tried to get one of the two aftermarket phone kits I used in it connected to mute the radio. The automatic mute is such a nice feature.

Sure, your 90 LS has "telemute" pins - the OEM dealer installed Lexus phones muted the radio when a call was in progress.

You could check for a mute pin under the rear of the center console like Blake918 and I did but I don't remember there being a male OEM phone connector under the console of my 90 LS like the ones where Blake and I found a mute pin. From what I remember, the under-console phone connector in my 90 LS was more like the passenger side female connector under my 00 LS console which does not contain a mute pin.

If your 90 LS has only the one female connector, I think the reason is that only the "fixed phone" was available until the 93 model year. With the 93 model year, the buyer had a choice of a fixed phone or the "portable plus" phone.

If you don't find a mute pin under the console, I think you have at least two choices: 1) locate a mute pin in the OEM phone harness in the trunk, or 2) locate a mute pin on the radio head unit or amp.

Here is the location of a diagram for a standard 90 LS radio which seems to show the color of the telemute wire: http://www.lextreme.com/Lexradio.pdf

I assume that the telemute is labeled "TLMT" as it is on the diagram for my 00 LS but you might want to check the "MUTE" pins if the "TLMT" one does not work.

You have probably seen this, but here is my stupid doc on how I installed a phone kit in my 00 LS:

http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/phone/Nok...H%20install.doc

The above doc shows how I used a test light to verify that I found the mute pin. Some have said it is dangerous to use a test light to probe for a mute pin but that is the way professional phone installers usually do it.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

It is now hard for me to believe that I drove my old 90 LS for almost 14 years and never tried to get one of the two aftermarket phone kits I used in it connected to mute the radio. The automatic mute is such a nice feature.

Sure, your 90 LS has "telemute" pins - the OEM dealer installed Lexus phones muted the radio when a call was in progress.

You could check for a mute pin under the rear of the center console like Blake918 and I did but I don't remember there being a male OEM phone connector under the console of my 90 LS like the ones where Blake and I found a mute pin. From what I remember, the under-console phone connector in my 90 LS was more like the passenger side female connector under my 00 LS console which does not contain a mute pin.

If your 90 LS has only the one female connector, I think the reason is that only the "fixed phone" was available until the 93 model year. With the 93 model year, the buyer had a choice of a fixed phone or the "portable plus" phone.

If you don't find a mute pin under the console, I think you have at least two choices: 1) locate a mute pin in the OEM phone harness in the trunk, or 2) locate a mute pin on the radio head unit or amp.

Here is the location of a diagram for a standard 90 LS radio which seems to show the color of the telemute wire: http://www.lextreme.com/Lexradio.pdf

I assume that the telemute is labeled "TLMT" as it is on the diagram for my 00 LS but you might want to check the "MUTE" pins if the "TLMT" one does not work.

You have probably seen this, but here is my stupid doc on how I installed a phone kit in my 00 LS:

http://home.kc.rr.com/colchester/phone/Nok...H%20install.doc

The above doc shows how I used a test light to verify that I found the mute pin. Some have said it is dangerous to use a test light to probe for a mute pin but that is the way professional phone installers usually do it.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

Our Lexus phone expert saves the day, once again.

Our Lexus phone expert saves the day, once again.

I wish! I'm a complete amateur. The "Guru" is Terry Wright of SIO Communications in the U.K.: http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/

1990ls thanx for the reply. Actually if you were not able to find a mute pin like the one that Blake shows, my chances are even slimmer, since I dont; have a factory phone installed. But I had not seen the diagram though , so that'll definetly come in handy, for my bluetooth, and also eventually I wanted to play around with an Ipod interface adapter, and see if I can figure out how to hardwire that bad boy to my audio system, since i have noticed that alot of people on here have had the same dilemma on earliear 1990 LS's! Anyway, I'll follow your suggestion and hopefully i'll locate that mute pin. I'll probably get started next week sometimes, but i'll definetly keep you guys posted on my findings, thanx again. :cheers:

Actually if you were not able to find a mute pin like the one that Blake shows, my chances are even slimmer, since I dont; have a factory phone installed.

What I meant was that both Blake (95 LS) and I (00 LS) found a mute pin in a male connector under the center console. But I suspect that your 90 LS does not have a similar male connector under the console since the Portable Plus phone was not an option until the 93 model year.

I suspect that your 90 LS has only the female connector for the Lexus fixed phone option like my 90 LS had.

All LS400s sold in the U.S., including yours, were completely pre-wired for cell phones including wiring for an external rear window phone antenna, connectors under the console (for the handset), connector on the left side of the steering wheel for the phone "command module/microphone" and connectors for the phone transceiver in the trunk. For example, peek above the headliner near the center top of your rear window of your 90 LS and you will see the factory installed phone antenna cable.

Regarding your iPod, a person on one of the forums said he had a radio repair shop hard-wire RCA cables to the input used by the CD changer. But this method requires having the radio version with the CD button. It sure is interesting how look it took for cars to start coming with auxiliary RCA input jacks.