Squeak Coming From Engine

I did a search already, but when I start the car and let it idle there's a squeak. Its like squeak..one second...squeak. I know its coming from the pulley's/belt. There's so many pulleys its kinda hard to pin point it. Any suggestions or tips. Its so frustrating to hear while at a traffic light, especially since everyone has their windows down since its warming up now. Trying very hard to save for a new paint job and now I have this annoying squeak that just makes me grind my teeth :)

take the accessory belt off and spin each pully by it self any thing thats not smooth will be a squeaker

Update: I did what you said to do. All the pulleys spun smoothly, but I did replace the idler pulley the bearing felt worn. The drive belt tensioner assy. pulley felt the same like it was smooth but you could tell the bearings had a lot of mileage on them.

My squeak is still present, so with the one idler pulley replaced I have focused on the drive belt tensioner assembly because when I push down on the drive belt the tensioner moves and it squeaks ever so slightly. Then when I put the butt end of a socket wrench on top of the tensioner assembly I could feel the squeak through the metal of the wrench.

My question now is concerning the proper operation of the tensioner assembly: With the car idling the tensionser constantly shifts up and down like a 1/4 inch but thats where the squeak seems to be coming from. If I installed a new tensioner is that going to be stronger and maybe the tensioner wont have that excess play (if in fact thats not normal for it to constantly shift.) and that should solve the squeak ($265.00 later) Does this sound correct? Tensioner assembly shifting + squeaking while shifting...

yes its normal for it to shift continuously. but if that seems to be the culprit of the noise then change it. just to make sure you can tun on the car for a bit with the belt off to make sure its not anything else inside the timing belt cover. of course you will get some warning lights but you can ignore them.

• 2 weeks later...

yes its normal for it to shift continuously. but if that seems to be the culprit of the noise then change it. just to make sure you can tun on the car for a bit with the belt off to make sure its not anything else inside the timing belt cover. of course you will get some warning lights but you can ignore them.

Well I have a PS leak and my alternator is bad as well. I followed the service manual to remove the belt tensioner (two nuts and one bolt), but it won't come off. I have no idea whats keeping it from coming off. I can jiggle it a little up and down but it wont come forward at all (to remove it) Frustrating...

Well I have a PS leak and my alternator is bad as well. I followed the service manual to remove the belt tensioner (two nuts and one bolt), but it won't come off. I have no idea whats keeping it from coming off. I can jiggle it a little up and down but it wont come forward at all (to remove it) Frustrating...

I looked at it again, and it looks like I need to remove one of the timing belt covers to remove the drive belt tensioner any know for sure?

• 4 weeks later...

Update: My squeak was coming from the drive belt tensioner. Turns out I was right, every time the tensioner adjusted itself it was making a high pitch squeak. By the way I usually buy oem toyota/lexus parts, but for the price and the simplicity of the part I figured I could cut my wallet a break. I bought a new tensioner assembly with the pulley for around $45.00 at www.partsamerica.com My local dealer wanted $200.00 for it. I figured even if it didn't last as long as the original and I had to replace it again I would still save over a hundred dollars. $45 v.s. $200 Aftermarket tensioner assembly was made by Goodyear and was stamped made in Canada.

In order to remove the tensioner assembly while its still fresh in my mind you have to remove the following parts: Drive belt, left upper and lower timing belt covers, alternator, Air Intake box and intake hose, Not difficult at all, just a little time consuming in relation to what you have to remove in order to replace the tensioner.

I looked at it again, and it looks like I need to remove one of the timing belt covers to remove the drive belt tensioner any know for sure?