Navigation System

RayC

I recently purchased my first Lexus - a 2003 LS 430. I don't know when the nav system was last updated - the screen shows version 02.1. I note that update DVD's are available, but I'm not sure which ones will work. Also, if the update is on DVD, can I assume the CD player will do double duty?

The DVD drive for the nav system is in the trunk; and I don't think it will play movie or audio DVDs. You can upgrade the system yourself but the DVDs are expensive.

The '04 LS has a generation 4 system. You can see the latest update here.

I know that certain years they didn't update all the information, so you might want to look around and see if its worth it to buy the latest and greatest version; you might be able to update your area with an older, less expensive update which frequently pop up on Ebay.

The DVD drive for the nav system is in the trunk; and I don't think it will play movie or audio DVDs. You can upgrade the system yourself but the DVDs are expensive.

The '04 LS has a generation 4 system. You can see the latest update here.

I know that certain years they didn't update all the information, so you might want to look around and see if its worth it to buy the latest and greatest version; you might be able to update your area with an older, less expensive update which frequently pop up on Ebay.

Thanks for the link to the site. It lists both Gen 2 and Gen 3 as applicable to the 2003 LS 430. I did locate the DVD player in the trunk. Since the screen shows version 02.1, do I assume that's Generation 2? I assume the "generation" designation refers to hardware/firmware configuration. Is that true?

I too have an '03 LS430, and recently updated my navigation DVD. My car had a late 2002 build date, so the version of DVD that I had was 2002 (also version 2.1, I believe). I noticed that certain restaurants and streets weren't present on the old DVD.

I paid $295 plus tax at my Lexus dealer's parts dept. for the DVD, but it is version 5.?, which reportedly was relased at the beginning of '06 (according to the parts dept.). I probably could have gotten it cheaper on eBay, but didn't want to take the chance.

Somewhat pricey upgrade, but I'm glad I did it....

Thanks for all the info. I guess the version number (in my case, 02.1) corresponds with the model year build date. So, I guess I can use the version 5 DVD for an update. First, I'll check to find out when the '06 discs will be out.

I've seen the DVD's on eBay, and might opt for one of the older ones, since mine is an '02 vintage.