Question About Mp3s

Hello,

I burned a CD with MP3s and put several folders (for various artists) on the CD. However when I play the CD in the NAV system, I can only see the first folder. I try to use the up and down arrows for switching folders, but that doesn't help. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Hello,

I burned a CD with MP3s and put several folders (for various artists) on the CD. However when I play the CD in the NAV system, I can only see the first folder. I try to use the up and down arrows for switching folders, but that doesn't help. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

I made a CD with my songs… 99% are WMA files…. What I have found is… when you first click on the CD… it shows all the folders…. But once you start playing… you can only switch the folders by the up and down button on the screen… The “Folder” icon is blacked out… just a minor annoyance… I’m still smiling from driving this car….. :)

Hello,

Thanks.

I made a CD with my songs… 99% are WMA files…. What I have found is… when you first click on the CD… it shows all the folders…. But once you start playing… you can only switch the folders by the up and down button on the screen… The “Folder” icon is blacked out… just a minor annoyance… I’m still smiling from driving this car….. :)

Well, the problem isn't switching of folders. The problem is seeing more than one folder. On the CD I have multiple folders, but the only I see is the first one I wrote to the CD in the NAV. What am I missing, or is my NAV broke?

Hello,

Thanks.

Well, the problem isn't switching of folders. The problem is seeing more than one folder. On the CD I have multiple folders, but the only I see is the first one I wrote to the CD in the NAV. What am I missing, or is my NAV broke?

Did you try making another CD?

How did you make your CD? Did you use Nero or something like it?

Try and just RIGHT CLICK on the folder... and then click on SEND TO then your burner drive... D, E or what ever it shows as the burner...

keep doing this.... then once your ready click on "Write Files"... use your XP software to burn... (I'm a microsoft guy... so if your using fruit.. then I can not help you.... :)

Ok, I just tried burning a new CD, but this time when I wrote the CDs (using Microsoft Explorer) I created data CDs with HighMat checked. Some of the mp3s on the disk were converted to WMA files. This seemed to resolve the issue (for anyone who has future issues), but I'm not sure if it was because I just burned a new CD, or because of the HighMat check and the conversion of some mp3s to WMAs.

Thanks for the replies.

Ok, I just tried burning a new CD, but this time when I wrote the CDs (using Microsoft Explorer) I created data CDs with HighMat checked. Some of the mp3s on the disk were converted to WMA files. This seemed to resolve the issue (for anyone who has future issues), but I'm not sure if it was because I just burned a new CD, or because of the HighMat check and the conversion of some mp3s to WMAs.

Thanks for the replies.

Sultan (and others), are you able to view title and artist info?

I've tried a number of ways to get the title and artist to show up on the NAV display while playing MP3's and WMA's. I have only burned using Windows Media Player 10. Do I need certain settings?

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried a number of ways to get the title and artist to show up on the NAV display while playing MP3's and WMA's. I have only burned using Windows Media Player 10. Do I need certain settings?

How do you rip your songs to your PC?

I also use Media Player 10 to rip the song..... I Rip all my CDs when I get them....

BUT.. you shouldnt use it to make the MP3/WMA cd... follow the directions below.. and it will work just fine!

RIGHT CLICK on the folder... and then click on SEND TO then your burner drive... D, E or what ever it shows as the burner...

keep doing this.... then once your ready click on "Write Files"... use your XP software to burn...

Thanks for the replies.

I also use Media Player 10 to rip the song..... I Rip all my CDs when I get them....

BUT.. you shouldnt use it to make the MP3/WMA cd... follow the directions below.. and it will work just fine!

RIGHT CLICK on the folder... and then click on SEND TO then your burner drive... D, E or what ever it shows as the burner...

keep doing this.... then once your ready click on "Write Files"... use your XP software to burn...

When I'm ready to burn, do I select Make Audio CD or Make Data CD? Does it matter? What about HighMat? If HighMat, should I "convert" files or not?

Thanks for the replies.

When I'm ready to burn, do I select Make Audio CD or Make Data CD? Does it matter? What about HighMat? If HighMat, should I "convert" files or not?

Data...

If you click on "Audio" it just turns them into a regular CD..... and instead of getting 200 or more songs on a CD... your limited to just 80 Mins...

One more note....

You can only burn up to the size of your CDR... 650/700...

Thanks for the replies.

Data...

If you click on "Audio" it just turns them into a regular CD..... and instead of getting 200 or more songs on a CD... your limited to just 80 Mins...

One more note....

You can only burn up to the size of your CDR... 650/700...

Thanks Cherokee. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...

The problem is that you guys are all using what is known as "packet writing" to write to the CD, which is flaky at best, and therefore a lot of set-top or car decks have trouble reading CDs written with this method. Thats is almost certainly why you are only seeing the first folder.

Do yourself a favor and get some software that burns in ISO-9660 format (i.e. data format - multisession OFF and preferrably in DAO mode) and you will cease to have this problem. Nero is a great program for this, but the latest release is a bit bloated with crap you dont need. And so the other program I have been using is Goldenhawks CDRWin. There are also a a few free open source apps for those who dont want to lay out the cash for NERO.

Hope that made sense.

As far as the ARTIST / TITLE info goes - you need to TAG the files before you burn them. The headunit gets that info from the ID3 tag, and not the file name (in the same manner an iPod does). I dont use WMP10, but I would suggest (again) using something else, as WMP10 is full of DRM crap that can render any CD you burn useless. There are a tonne of great FREE CD ripping/tagging apps out there. Try something called "The Godfather" - its simply amazing and best of all - free.

AEJ-