Engine Mount Problems

I'm in a process of changing my front engine mount (dogbone mount), and I'm having problems with one of the bolts. The one that is furthest away (connected to the shock towers), seems to be permanently embedded in there. It won't budge. I must've used half a bottle of WD-40 over a period of a couple of days, but no luck.

The other one came out without any difficulties...but the first one just doesn't want to co-operate. I've been thinking about using a bigger ratchet, so I can get a bigger torque, but I won't be able to get it for a couple of days. In the meantime, I was thinking about trying something else...can anybody give me any ideas on what I could do?

Thanks.

btw, the bolt is getting to the point where it will get damaged if I keep failing...

You're doing the right thing by stopping before you kill it. I never had problems with mine & it comes off all the time. :unsure:

If it's a 3/8" wratchet, slip a pipe on the end of it to work as a cheater bar & use a 6 pointed socket (Not 12 point).

With your off-hand, hold the wratchet / extension as firmly as possible so it doesn't slip & apply a slow building pressure with the other one.

You're doing the right thing by stopping before you kill it. I never had problems with mine & it comes off all the time. :unsure:

If it's a 3/8" wratchet, slip a pipe on the end of it to work as a cheater bar & use a 6 pointed socket (Not 12 point).

With your off-hand, hold the wratchet / extension as firmly as possible so it doesn't slip & apply a slow building pressure with the other one.

Thanks.

Yeah, the reason why the socket kept slipping is because I had been using the 12-point socket. I've been able to borrow a 6-point one and I'll give it a try.

btw, I thought of using a cheater bar, but I didn't have anything in the house that could, safely, perform that job.

Thanks again

Eh, wish I could tell you some way to get it off, or do it for you. But you know how the internet goes. :(

That's about the only thing I can think of without telling you to use a bolt remover, or cut it, or torch it.

I hate those damned 12 pointed sockets. Between those & mechanics that are hell bent on using 500-1000lb/ft impact drivers on any bolt they touch, there wouldn't be a single stripped, or damaged piece of hardware on any car...

Makes no since that tool companies send out 12 pointed sockets. The ONLY 12 pointed bolt/nut I know of on my '93 are the head bolts.

How often do they think people really need a 12point * 14mm socket???

Eh, wish I could tell you some way to get it off, or do it for you. But you know how the internet goes. :(

That's about the only thing I can think of without telling you to use a bolt remover, or cut it, or torch it.

I hate those damned 12 pointed sockets. Between those & mechanics that are hell bent on using 500-1000lb/ft impact drivers on any bolt they touch, there wouldn't be a single stripped, or damaged piece of hardware on any car...

Makes no since that tool companies send out 12 pointed sockets. The ONLY 12 pointed bolt/nut I know of on my '93 are the head bolts.

How often do they think people really need a 12point * 14mm socket???

I got it...finally.

I managed to get a 6-point socket, and it did the job. Although, to be honest, I really, really, had to put some muscle in it. The funny thing is, the other one came out without any problems. Yes, it did require some force, but the one that is attached to the shock towers...unbelieavable.

Thanks, again, for all the help

Never played with a Seinna, but it's a Camry too so... ;) Just buy the refill. It slips into the middle of the metal mount.

It's easier with a lift, but you can jack up the car high on jackstands & jack up the engine a tea tiny bit to get access to it. You may have to take off the passanger axle tho. I forget.

Oh... Disconnect the dogbone mount when you go jacking the engine up. Just do the strut tower bolt.