Stuck Volume Level With Levinson System

MikeLS403

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how was it fixed?

I have a 2003 LS430 with the Levinson stereo without navigation.

So far, on four separate occasions, the volume level will stick and I cannot adjust it up or down using the control on the dash or on the steering wheel. It's not too lound when this happens. If I turn off the stereo and turn it back on the volume is still frozen. If I turn off and back on the car, it is fine again.

The last time this happened I noticed that the ASL indicator went off while the volume was stuck and came back on after I had turned off/on the car. Then the TRAF indicator came on for a few minutes and went off.

I talked to the dealer about this a week ago and my service representative said that he will have to have his best diagnosit technician call me but it's been a week and still no word. I called yesterday and was told that they were really busy and I would just have to wait. I honestly expected better service from Lexus.

usually with lexus warranty

they just replace replace , replace

i had a motor ,arms, secondary motor ,wiper ecu, switch and relays just to fix a non working intermittent problem witht eh wipers

1500 warr dollars later i have perfect wipers

as them for a new radio to be installed

I agree, they'll wind up just replacing the whole radio headunit and charging the repair to Lexus.

Call another dealer. Not a problem with Lexus, the dealers are all independant companies in and of themselves. If you dont get the response you're looking for, ask to speak to the general manager and inform him that if your complaint isn't taken care of to your satisfaction you'll take your service and future sales business to another dealer and inform Lexus of your dissatisfaction. They'll take care of you. If not then just walk.

If you dont have other Lexus dealers in your area, contact Lexus and they'll eventually dispatch a technician to you personally.

The issue with it probably is poor communication between the volume module on the steering wheel and the volume knob on the radio face. Its not like a traditional knob that is hard wired to the circuitry so you turn it, it changes the volume. Since its wired to the switches on the wheel there has to be a relay there where both of them tie into the system, they're just not happy with each other. When you turn it off and back on it resets the system and they communicate properly again.

You (as I) have to understand that the service center at my dealership is "very busy" and should not expect them to get back to me on this right away.

I had the car in for an oil change two weeks ago and told them about the problem and they still have not gotten back to me with an answer.

So I have no idea what they are going to do about it. I am taking the car on a 1,000 mile trip this weekend so hopefully the stereo will not act up. I know that they really don't want to believe me on this and just let it slide.

I really expected better from Lexus service. Hopefully the car itself (other than the stereo) will live up to its reputation, the service department has certainly been a disappointment.

Any other dealers in the area?

This is what I would say

"You have to understand that I am also very busy. I purchased a $65,000 car from you, theres a problem with it that I find very unsatisfactory and you are unwilling to help me in the timeframe that I have availiable. You have to understand that this makes me not want to continue servicing my Lexus at your dealership, which in turn will make the buy my next one elsewhere also."

That is, providing there is another Lexus dealer around...