Considering Gs300 As My Next Daily Driver...

Hey guys,

Currently, my Daily Driver is my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro MT5. It's a great car (A bit sluggish, but that's fine), it's very beautiful, drives great, and I honestly love the car. However, costs of maintenance, random expensive problems, and inability to work on the car, is making me change my mind on keeping it for much longer.

So I've been looking for another Daily Driver lately, I've considered Acura TSX/TL, BMW 330ci, and Lexus SC/GS300. I've decided to settle on 98+ GS300, as it's a nice sized sedan, has beautiful lines, and appears to be easy to work on.

If you guys wouldn't mind, could you answer a few questions for me to aid me in my purchase?

-Over all, how do you like your GS?

-How is the leg room for the driver? This is very important to me, seeming as I'm 6'6"

-Are they difficult to work on? I wouldn't imagine the Naturally Aspirated Inline 6 would be very hard, but that's what I thought about the 1.8T in the Audi. :huh:

-What are the most common problems? i.e Clicking CV Joints, Valve Tick, Phantom CELs, etc

-Anything else I should know?

I am not planning on modifying this car too much... A mild exhaust system, full suspension, nice wheel and tire combination, front lip, light tint... Nothing too crazy. I'm not looking for the car to be fast, reliability is in mind here. I already have my race car, so this car will be the sexy car.

Anyway, I appreciate any input, negative and positive. I want to get a good idea of what I'll be getting myself in to.

Thanks in advance!

Hey guys,

Currently, my Daily Driver is my 2002 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro MT5. It's a great car (A bit sluggish, but that's fine), it's very beautiful, drives great, and I honestly love the car. However, costs of maintenance, random expensive problems, and inability to work on the car, is making me change my mind on keeping it for much longer.

So I've been looking for another Daily Driver lately, I've considered Acura TSX/TL, BMW 330ci, and Lexus SC/GS300. I've decided to settle on 98+ GS300, as it's a nice sized sedan, has beautiful lines, and appears to be easy to work on.

If you guys wouldn't mind, could you answer a few questions for me to aid me in my purchase?

-Over all, how do you like your GS?

-How is the leg room for the driver? This is very important to me, seeming as I'm 6'6"

-Are they difficult to work on? I wouldn't imagine the Naturally Aspirated Inline 6 would be very hard, but that's what I thought about the 1.8T in the Audi. :huh:

-What are the most common problems? i.e Clicking CV Joints, Valve Tick, Phantom CELs, etc

-Anything else I should know?

I am not planning on modifying this car too much... A mild exhaust system, full suspension, nice wheel and tire combination, front lip, light tint... Nothing too crazy. I'm not looking for the car to be fast, reliability is in mind here. I already have my race car, so this car will be the sexy car.

Anyway, I appreciate any input, negative and positive. I want to get a good idea of what I'll be getting myself in to.

Thanks in advance!

Well, I am 6' 4" w/ a 98 g3 and leg room is no prob for me, Easy to work on - very easy. The only problem I had was #2 injector went out 3 years ago and NO probs since. This has been a very reliable car, Just keep up on the regular maintenance and your good to go, For a longggggg time. :cheers:

Thanks guys, that's EXACTLY what I want to hear. :)

One thing... They didn't make these things in Manaul Transmission, did they?

Nope, No manual in these babies. :cheers:

DAMN... I've never owned a vehicle with Automatic. That appears to be the only down side here, other than that, I think I may go with it. :D

You can try a 01-05 GS300 or a 98-00 GS400. Although still not a manual transmission, these models have eshift. You get a little more "manual" control. In any case, it is as close to manual as you will ever get with the stock GS.

The GS 430 has alot more kick than the GS300 is you can swing the premium.

Larger engine--> smoother ride

There is no way on gods green earth that a V engine is smoother than a inline engine. ;)

I think I'm going with a GS400/430, after hearing the sound clips of those things with exhaust, haha.

A 4.3liter V8 would be better for what I'm doing anyway, seeming as I don't want to modify too much. There's no power like stock power. ;)