Abs / Slip Activating While Driving

dmcquade

Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 RX 300 that has been giving me some problems. About 5 months ago the "slip ligth" started coming on a random times. It would usually beep for about 5 - 7 seconds and turn off. Over time it started coming on more and more often until one day last week it came on four times in one day.

Then today I was driving down the interstate coming around a corner at a normal rate of speed and conditions. The slip light came on and the ABS started to activate even though I wasn't anywhere near the brake pedal.

Anyone ever hear of this? If I hadn't seen it first hand I wouldn't have thought it would have been possible. If you have seen / heard of / experienced this, can you write back how you were able to fix it or how much Lexus is going to take me for?

THanks!

DJ

I am thinking one of your ABS sensors or the ABS axle rotors (the teeth ring that ABS sensors use to detect wheel speed) is bad. The ABS sensors and axle rotors aren't cheap, you might want to try taking out the sensors and cleaning them. Or have an independent shop with experience about ABS troubleshooting help you out. I wouldn't recommend Lexus dealership because they charged me $1800 to fix an ABS problem. My car had the same symptoms while breaking, only difference is that you have a 2wd that ABS would kick in as part of the traction control while mine is a AWD which doesn't have traction control.

My guess is it will cost you anywere from $600-1800 if you were to take it to Lexus. BTW, they will tell you there's nothing wrong with your car because they can't get a code from the computer initially untill you can physically prove to them that it happens. I don't like my Lexus dealership.

Check your tire pressures before you do anything else. Had the same thing happen on my 01 RX and it was a slowly leaking tire which caused the VSC to trigger on every turn I made.

Good advice ... I think I do have a small leak in my front left tire ... it's been loosing air ... I just didn't think that would have caused something like this. I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 RX 300 that has been giving me some problems. About 5 months ago the "slip ligth" started coming on a random times. It would usually beep for about 5 - 7 seconds and turn off. Over time it started coming on more and more often until one day last week it came on four times in one day.

Then today I was driving down the interstate coming around a corner at a normal rate of speed and conditions. The slip light came on and the ABS started to activate even though I wasn't anywhere near the brake pedal.

Anyone ever hear of this? If I hadn't seen it first hand I wouldn't have thought it would have been possible. If you have seen / heard of / experienced this, can you write back how you were able to fix it or how much Lexus is going to take me for?

THanks!

DJ

rlin78,

Thanks for the update. I'll see about cleaning up my sensors and checking my tire pressure. I've turned the traction control off, so hopefully it will keep the warning from going off. We had a good Lexus dealership, but there is also an independent place here that specializes in Lexuses, so I'll give them a try. Thanks everyone! :)

Check your tire pressures before you do anything else. Had the same thing happen on my 01 RX and it was a slowly leaking tire which caused the VSC to trigger on every turn I made.

Good advice ... I think I do have a small leak in my front left tire ... it's been loosing air ... I just didn't think that would have caused something like this. I'll check it out. Thanks! :)

Hey everyone,

THanks!

DJ

rlin78,

Thanks for the update. I'll see about cleaning up my sensors and checking my tire pressure. I've turned the traction control off, so hopefully it will keep the warning from going off. We had a good Lexus dealership, but there is also an independent place here that specializes in Lexuses, so I'll give them a try. Thanks everyone! :)

Either your stearing wheel position sensor or your yaw sensor is failing. My vote would be the yaw sensor.