Replace Steering Wheel

I have not seen this successfully converted into a '92-'96 ES, but I can't say for sure if it will work. It will greatly depend on the compatibility of the airbag system (stage 1 or 2) in your car. You should also note that the picture of the wheel does not have the cruise control button, although I'm sure if you were to get a steering wheel, it would contain cruise control.

I have not seen this successfully converted into a '92-'96 ES, but I can't say for sure if it will work. It will greatly depend on the compatibility of the airbag system (stage 1 or 2) in your car. You should also note that the picture of the wheel does not have the cruise control button, although I'm sure if you were to get a steering wheel, it would contain cruise control.

But shouldnt my airbag fit and can I use the cruise control button from my steering wheel

It will fit your ES. I used to have a 92' ES and I installed a 98' LS 400 steering wheel on it. All Lexus/Toyota vehicles use the same spline size.

No, your air bag from the 96 will not fit, they are unique. But you can "move" your old cruise control switch to the new steering wheel.

Godfather18 is right, the air bag might not work properly either since the new generation air bag is different, but you can still hook up the wires so that the air bag light would turn off. At least I did it on mine with no problem.

It will fit your ES. I used to have a 92' ES and I installed a 98' LS 400 steering wheel on it. All Lexus/Toyota vehicles use the same spline size.

No, your air bag from the 96 will not fit, they are unique. But you can "move" your old cruise control switch to the new steering wheel.

Godfather18 is right, the air bag might not work properly either since the new generation air bag is different, but you can still hook up the wires so that the air bag light would turn off. At least I did it on mine with no problem.

So I have to buy a 2000 ES Air bag with the wheel to get it to work

Yep. Unfortunately. I don't know what's your preference is, but new air bag is kind of pricey. You might want to get a used one if safety is not your main concern.

Yep. Unfortunately. I don't know what's your preference is, but new air bag is kind of pricey. You might want to get a used one if safety is not your main concern.

Lets say that safety isn't my concern could I put my current airbag on that 2000 ES300 Steering wheel and will it sit flush with it just wont work if I was in a accident.

Lets say that safety isn't my concern could I put my current airbag on that 2000 ES300 Steering wheel and will it sit flush with it just wont work if I was in a accident.

No, it won't fit the steering wheels are entirely a different shape.

The wheel will bolt up, but you need an airbag from that year or span of years (98-01) to make it work.

No, it won't fit the steering wheels are entirely a different shape.

The wheel will bolt up, but you need an airbag from that year or span of years (98-01) to make it work.

OK I found the airbag for a 100 bucks but I was wondering if I need the airbag module as well or can I use my current airbag module on my 96ES300

Well, that's a tough question. As I recalled, the 2000 ES airbag doesn't have leads come out of it. So, you need to make modification on the connection. I think you can use the old module, one thing for sure is that it won't pop, but will it pop in case of accident... who knows. The module is simply a detonator, it sends a power signal to "fire" the airbag. Once power is detected, the airbag pops. Dealership simply uses battery voltage to pop the airbag when they do recall on the airbag and destroy it. So, the airbag is nothing fancy, my main concern would be the connection between the airbag and the steering column. I hope this info is some what useful.

Well, that's a tough question. As I recalled, the 2000 ES airbag doesn't have leads come out of it. So, you need to make modification on the connection. I think you can use the old module, one thing for sure is that it won't pop, but will it pop in case of accident... who knows. The module is simply a detonator, it sends a power signal to "fire" the airbag. Once power is detected, the airbag pops. Dealership simply uses battery voltage to pop the airbag when they do recall on the airbag and destroy it. So, the airbag is nothing fancy, my main concern would be the connection between the airbag and the steering column. I hope this info is some what useful.

OK so the airbag wont go OFF on my face when I install it? But the connection might a little different, so I might have to modify it to work.

No, it won't go off on your face as long as you disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected for more than 10 minutes to let the airbag module capacitor to be "discharged".

Yes, you need to do mod on the connection for sure. Good luck! :-)