Can Anyone Help Me?!?! Computer Problems Ls400

xmanpike

About a year ago I took in my 1994 LS400 due to problems accelerating after getting some routine maintenance done, I was informed that the ECU had gone bad, so the computer was replaced with a refurbished one. Less than one year later now and another $2500 in maintenance I am being informed that again the computer has failed and that is why the car is not running properly and wont go over 20 mph. Has anyone had these problems? Basically the car is having problems accelerating. I am not sure I want to purchase another computer only to find out that it fails again, or that the computer is not the real problem. Please let me know what any of you think

That doesn't sound right to me....The computer should be ok. Tell me this, any funny smells like gasoline? How's the engine running? Is it rough, coughing, stuff like that, or is it smooth and then just blocks you at 20mph and beyond? I could be wrong here, but this doesn't sound computer related to me, sounds more like exhaust blockage or fuel delivery problems. How does your air filter look? Is it clean?

Did you have your computer replaced at the Lexus dealer? If so, I bet Lexus will honor the warranty on it if it is indeed the problem. There is usually a 12 month warranty on parts and labor.

Any dash lights on, like the check engine light?

I had a lot of work done recently, no it doesnt sound good when revved up. The computer had a 90 day warranty so it is not being coevered and was done at an independent garage. It was fine the day before, it seems to pick and choose when it wont run. Air filter was replaced recently, so thats not the problem

yes the check engine light is on as well. The guy working on it is baffled. I basically told him, why do i want to replace the computer again when it sounds like it is just going to fail again. I told him something was making this happen. I am so frustrated

I had a lot of work done recently, no it doesnt sound good when revved up. The computer had a 90 day warranty so it is not being coevered and was done at an independent garage. It was fine the day before, it seems to pick and choose when it wont run. Air filter was replaced recently, so thats not the problem

yes the check engine light is on as well. The guy working on it is baffled. I basically told him, why do i want to replace the computer again when it sounds like it is just going to fail again. I told him something was making this happen. I am so frustrated

Well there is your answer...your check engine light is one. Let me ask you this...does your mechanic know the check engine light is on? If so, and he is baffled what to do...then you NEED A NEW MECHANIC....

Rule #1....when the check engine light comes on...you plug in the code reader to see what's wrong. It will give you a series of codes. When you get those codes, post them up on HERE and we'll decode them for you. The computer knows what's wrong and it is trying to tell you with the CEL light. I would make sure you see the code numbers for yourself, and not be told what they are.:cheers:

If I were you, I would not spend another penny trying to fix the car until you get those codes. :cheers:

Don't get too frustrated....you're in good hands around here. The combined knowledge of the guys on here would actually put a lexus engineer to shame! Combined, we've torn down and rebuilt these cars. Each of us has a certain area of expertise.

By the way.....welcome to the club!! :cheers:

also...check out this site www.lexls.com

I appreciate all your help! I have looked at lexls. Loved it too.

He has told me that the computer will not communicate which is why he is assuming it is a problem with the ECM. They are getting another computer and are going to hook it up to see if that fixes things or if it will communicate. He is doing this free of charge so far. If that is the problem, he says he will charge no labor. Is there anythig else I should ask him about. He said he checked the air flow meter? and it looks okay.

ECM not communicating? You can get the engine code yourself at no cost and see if the mechanic is lying. All you need is a paper clip and jump T1 to TE1 in the diagnostic port either in the engine compartment or under the dash near the steering column. Search this forum or elsewhere for more details info on obtaining ODBI codes.

Your "mechanic" sounds like he either incompetent or dishonest. The ECU is designed to last in the neighborhood of 30 years / 500,000+ miles (unless it's damaged by floodwaters or if an incompetent mechanic shorts it out) The ECU in my '92 Toyota pickup has lasted 469,000 miles and counting.