Problem With Lexus Of Riverside Service Dept...

fireguysith

Hello fellow owners,

Okay, here is the situation; last week on monday i took my 99'RX 300 in for service because

the engine was making a sputtering sound during idle and also for some rear braking noise.

The service writer told me they will have to run a diagnostics to figure out the problem.

Cost = $150. After the diagnostics, he told me the problem with the sputtering engine sound

is the catalytic converter and the braking noise was due to hard aftermarket brakes. He recommended

i get the cats done and the brakes were optional since it wasn't a malfunction, just noise.

Cats = $795. The car was fixed wednesday, and i picked it up thursday. I started the car at the dealership

and the sputtering was gone, the freeway drive home was very smooth. I arrived home and parked

my car in the garage. The next morning, i when i started my car, i noticed a strong shaking or rattling

noise during the start. I sounded as though someting was loose. The noise only occured during

the start. I called to make another appointment with Lexus of Riverside for monday. On monday

i took my car in. The service writer told me he would have to run a diagnostics to figure out the

problem. Cost = $90 (not sure why it was $150 before) If the problem came up to be something they did, they would fix it and waive the $90 diagnostics fee. If it was a new problem, i was have to pay the $90. Seems fair, so i gave them the okay.

After the diagnostics, he told me that it was a new problem. The shaking or rattling sound

i heard in my garage was not something loose, but was due to the "idle speed control valve". He said that carbon deposites had built up over time and cause the "idle speed control valve to stick. Cost = $535.

Here's my problem with this story. When i came in, i had a complaint about an engine sputtering noise.

I'm not a mechanic, but when i hear engine sputtering, i think about fuel and exhaust. I'm not

expecting them to do the service for free, my problem here is that i believe they should have caught

the problem with the "idle speed control valve" during the first $150 diagnostic. The service

writer told me that there was no way for them to find the first problem because the "idle speed

control valve" is in a totally different section than CAT. This really didnt make sense to me.

I told him that the first time i was here i complained about engine sputtering during idle, now

i'm back again complaining about engine shaking during start. I feel that my initial complaint

was similar enough for them to have found both problems. If they weren't able to find both during

the first diagnostics, i really question their expertise. Keep in mind, all i'm asking the dealership for is

to waive the $90 diagnostics fee.

I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions on what i should do. Thanks for taking the time

to read my long story. LOC rocks ^^.

If you can not get satisfaction contact the California bureau of Automotive Repairs and file an official complaint. Then contact the better business bureau in your city. Lexus should not get away with that garbage. They missed diagnosed your problem and are trying to cover it up.

• 2 years later...

I had a big hassle with Riverside Lexus as well. Dan Davidson, the owner, is a fraud along with his service mechanics that will take you for all they can!!! I had my LX470 there being fixed for a stripped sparkplug socket and new clyinoid, or something like that. In the meantime, one of their workers crashed my car in their parking lot and my car has never been the same since. They claim it was fixed at Hamblin's Auto Body, but they have no record. I have been meaning to contact attorney general and see what they can do. My hood has vibrated on the fwy. ever since. What a bunch of morons these guys are. One mechanic, Gary, seemed to know what he was doing, but car still didn't get fixed correctly. They also got me for a new water pump when replacing my timing belt, just something that has to be done they said. I wish they were that diligent with fixing my collision repairs correctly.

So, after the Riverside fiasco I took my car to Ontario Lexus for vibration noise from the collision. Ontario told me I needed a new drive shaft??? I paid 900 for new drive shaft and picked the car up a couple days later. I got on the 15 fwy to go home and the vibration was ridiculously stronger??? They refunded my money and then the service manager, Pete, said the car is just old???? I only had about 110k at the time. I had about 70k when the car was originally crashed by Riv. Lexus. Pete really should not be in the service business if he thinks a lexus w/ 110k is old???

I would recommend anyone in Riverside area going to Westminster or Carlsbad. I have heard that Carlsbad mechanics are trained very well.

Hello fellow owners,

Okay, here is the situation; last week on monday i took my 99'RX 300 in for service because

the engine was making a sputtering sound during idle and also for some rear braking noise.

The service writer told me they will have to run a diagnostics to figure out the problem.

Cost = $150. After the diagnostics, he told me the problem with the sputtering engine sound

is the catalytic converter and the braking noise was due to hard aftermarket brakes. He recommended

i get the cats done and the brakes were optional since it wasn't a malfunction, just noise.

Cats = $795. The car was fixed wednesday, and i picked it up thursday. I started the car at the dealership

and the sputtering was gone, the freeway drive home was very smooth. I arrived home and parked

my car in the garage. The next morning, i when i started my car, i noticed a strong shaking or rattling

noise during the start. I sounded as though someting was loose. The noise only occured during

the start. I called to make another appointment with Lexus of Riverside for monday. On monday

i took my car in. The service writer told me he would have to run a diagnostics to figure out the

problem. Cost = $90 (not sure why it was $150 before) If the problem came up to be something they did, they would fix it and waive the $90 diagnostics fee. If it was a new problem, i was have to pay the $90. Seems fair, so i gave them the okay.

After the diagnostics, he told me that it was a new problem. The shaking or rattling sound

i heard in my garage was not something loose, but was due to the "idle speed control valve". He said that carbon deposites had built up over time and cause the "idle speed control valve to stick. Cost = $535.

Here's my problem with this story. When i came in, i had a complaint about an engine sputtering noise.

I'm not a mechanic, but when i hear engine sputtering, i think about fuel and exhaust. I'm not

expecting them to do the service for free, my problem here is that i believe they should have caught

the problem with the "idle speed control valve" during the first $150 diagnostic. The service

writer told me that there was no way for them to find the first problem because the "idle speed

control valve" is in a totally different section than CAT. This really didnt make sense to me.

I told him that the first time i was here i complained about engine sputtering during idle, now

i'm back again complaining about engine shaking during start. I feel that my initial complaint

was similar enough for them to have found both problems. If they weren't able to find both during

the first diagnostics, i really question their expertise. Keep in mind, all i'm asking the dealership for is

I would appreciate any opinions or suggestions on what i should do. Thanks for taking the time

Hello fellow owners,

Fireguysith- Did you have them do the work on the IACV (idle air control valve)? The reason I ask is most people once they have visited the forum and read the instructions for cleaning it, go ahead and do just that. The dealer is not going to offer that service, they're only going to replace it (which it probably seldom needs). If you feel it needs to be replaced or are just more comfortable doing it, it can be bought from an online Lexus dealer in Cal. for $150. plus shipping. I spent my life in automotive and get angry when I hear of people getting ripped off in automotive matters. There are honest mechanics and shops and they get painted with the same black paint that the dishonest ones have brought upon themselves. Good luck and let us help you in whatever way we can.