Ipod Hookup

Broker

I've been using my iPod in my 99 LS through the tape deck, but quality is not all that great, and CD's sound much better. anyone know of a hardwired setup? I've considered the radio connection option but I think hardwiring it would sound the best.

I don't believe their is a hardwired setup. I searched and searched for a solution for my '95, but I never could find anything. I was actually quite pleased with my tape adaptor for my nano. Most of the hardwire kits that I saw were only for the latest cars. I tried a Monster fm mod, and I was stunned by the terrible sound quality. It seems like the best fm mods are the ones that are big and bulky like this....

DSC00029-2005.05.25-03.38.44.jpg

I remembered seeing some wired fm modulators on Crutchfield which will probably be your best bet if they are still selling them. Maybe something like this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VEu3XO6sgob/c...71&I=142FMMOD01

:cheers:

This past weekend I "hardwired" an FM modulator to the factory head unit. My tape deck was broken so I couldn't use my iPod in that fashion. I had tried wireless modulators before and found them all to be junk as far as sound quality goes so I was hoping for better results with this version.

The verdict is still out, but my initial impressions are that the sound is much better than a wireless modulator, but less than that of a tape deck adaptor and much less than direct wiring. I use a tape adaptor in my Wife's VW for comparison and that actually sounds pretty decent.

Even with the hardwired modulator I find that I have to turn up the volume on the iPod and head unit (louder than when listening to a traditional radio station). I also am getting a slight revving noise in the background during acceleration. I used a high quality FM mod and Monster cables to try and get the best sound quality, but it's not where I would like it to be.

Short of replacing your head unit with a new one there are very few options for linking your iPod to your Lexus. Most manufacturers aren't making interfaces for pre-2002 cars that I have found.

Most manufacturers aren't making interfaces for pre-2002 cars that I have found.

That's what I found too, and I'd consider my search fairly exhaustive. LOL ;)

The LS usually uses a Pioneer CD changer, so this might work:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/prod...2089315,00.html

You might loose the CD changer functionality, but it might be work checking out.

Good luck!

I think that's a great idea, but it doesn't look like those connectors will match up though. I bet it would be fairly easy to splice the connectors together if someone was brave enough! LOL