Brake Upgrade

Hi guys,

I have a '98 GS400

From reading old columns I 've gotten the impression the TT or Brembo seem to be the top choices for upgrades.

Who can tell me what years of TT brakes will fit ?

Will the fit rears also if I decide to do all 4 ?

Thanks in advance,

Dukabor.

Hi guys,

I have a '98 GS400

From reading old columns I 've gotten the impression the TT or Brembo seem to be the top choices for upgrades.

Thanks in advance,

Dukabor.

The TT is good, and you can get them for a good price, compared to the Brembos. If you are wanting to do all four corners, any of the last gen Supras should fit. I think luxurymods.com actually sells the kits there for a good price.

Hi guys,

I have a '98 GS400

Thanks in advance,

Dukabor.

The TT is good, and you can get them for a good price, compared to the Brembos. If you are wanting to do all four corners, any of the last gen Supras should fit. I think luxurymods.com actually sells the kits there for a good price.

Can anyone give me some input on whether it is worthwhile to just do the rotors and pads without doing the Calipers ?

Dukabor

Hi guys,

I have a '98 GS400

Thanks in advance,

Dukabor.

Can anyone give me some input on whether it is worthwhile to just do the rotors and pads without doing the Calipers ?

Dukabor

Well if you get bigger rotors, you get a little more surface area for the caliper to grab. What are your mods? Unless you NA-t, or anything putting out mad power, it might be better (cost-wise) to just upgrade to a good set of pads.

Oh, and if you get bigger rotors, you do need to upgrade your calipers that will still fit, or have a custom mounting bracket made.

• 2 weeks later...

TT rears will not fit without a custom bracket. One of the downsides of the TTs are that they are heavy, heavier than OEM even. This will impact handling. Another issue with the TTs is that the calipers are huge and will require wheels that can fit over them. The OEMs will definitely not.

I wanted to get the better braking system, but it was too pricey. So I settled for slotted front brake rotors from powerslot then changed the front brake pads to hawk. I heard pretty good reviews for the hawk brake pads. Since I got them done I like the feeling alot more. But if you have that kinda of money lying arount why not go all the way. :cheers:

• 4 weeks later...

TT rears will not fit without a custom bracket. One of the downsides of the TTs are that they are heavy, heavier than OEM even. This will impact handling. Another issue with the TTs is that the calipers are huge and will require wheels that can fit over them. The OEMs will definitely not.

Neo,

Any more info on the custom bracket needed for the TT rears?

Thanks,

Cesar

• 2 weeks later...

Neo,

Any more info on the custom bracket needed for the TT rears?

Thanks,

Cesar

Thought I'd close this off...........

I odered Brembo drilled rotors and Hawk pads after reading all the posts on the subject.

The difference is mind boggling.

there is a bit of "rubbing noise" under hard braking ,but I will live with it.

The trade off is more that worth while.

I now look forward to quick stops as much as I like accellerating.

oh , yea , I only did the fronts.

Dukabor