Purchasing 1993 Ls400

tapseer

I'm thinking of buying an 1993 LS400 with about 105,000 on the odo, 1 owner and appears to be in good condition on the outside, haven't test driven it yet. I would like to know whether purchasing this car with so much mileage is a good idea and what to look for when test driving. How much mileage is too much for this car. Or after purchasing the car, where I should take the car to get it into good working condition? I'm a Brooklyn, NY resident so please all dealer/mechanic referrals to be local. Any bit of help or advice is highly appreciated and I thank you all in advance for your assistance in this matter.

Check all other topics where we talked about buying tips and how to check a car.

Bottom line is that make sure that VIN records or other documents should show all services including very expensive 90k done :o desirably at the dealer. Try to avoid air suspension. Check that flanges for stainless steel exhaust system are in a good shape.

Check that all heating/cooling/CD control works. Check the air filter. It will tell you if it was replaced in time.

Good luck. We here to answer all your questions.

I recently purchased a 93 LS with 100K and all of the expensive maintenance was done recently. It has a new alternator, new power steering pump, new front end ball joints, timing belt replaced about 12K miles ago, basically a well maintained auto. Get the VIN number of the car and go to the Lexus service department and they call get you a printout of all of the maintenance that any Lexus dealership has done on the car. However, even with all of the work that had been done fairly recently, I have had some pretty expensive work done on my car. The tires were worn unevenly so I put a new set of Michelin V rated tires on and I had a 4 wheel alignment done. The a/c compressor froze up and I ended up replacing almost the entire a/c system, new compressor, receiver/drier/expansion valve. I also had to replace the power antenna mast and repair the outside mirrors. I have also had problems with the tach and speedometer needles working intermittently. Other then the tires and the wheel alignment, I have been able to fix all of the other problems with the information in the shop manuals that I purchased. BTW, the shop manuals was the best investment so far, worth their weight in gold. At the present time, I have a beautifully running 93 LS, very quiet and smooth running and EVERYTHING on the car is working like a new car. I am keeping my fingers crossed, all the drivetrain components have performed flawlessly so far. Good luck with your purchase and realize that if you buy a used car with 105K miles, you can expect some hefty repairs, you will find out why the previous owner got rid of the car probably. Good luck in your purchase, I now know a LOT BETTER of what to look for then I did when I purchased the LS. The Lexus dealer with the VIN number in your hand is a good place to start.

Curt