Trans Shift Issue. Drain And Fill, Flush, Or Bend Over?

Tracilex

My wife's 99 RX AWD has 76k miles. When cold she has recently had issues w/ it not wanting to shift out of 2nd. She gets in the car and w/ in .3 mile she is on the freeway. The tranny doesn't have time to warm up. When warm it is fine, but I'm sure it shouldn't be stuck at highway speed in 2nd even when cold. According to service records it was drained and filled around 55k (previous owner). I checked the tranny fluid and it was a little low. It was a little off color, but not as some others have described on here. I suspect it was that way since it was changed last. I added a little T-IV, but it hasn't helped.

What to do? I'm thinking of drain and filling, but I don't know if it will help. I know the arguements about flushing, but in this case it might be needed.??

My guess is you're in a heap of costly trouble. I have seen countless stories on this and other sites about this tranny giving out at 70-80k mi. A nice $4k repair!

I'll get ripped for this by the naysayers, but if I were you I'd do some fast internet research on two addative products I've seen very posative reviews on. AUTO-RX and TRANSMATIC

I'm no mechanic, I just play one on the internet. However, I am capable of fast learning with google searches and these products both have bailed folks out if they get at it before the tranny is too far gone.

On the flip side, I've seen nothing but tranny replacements for folks who do nothing once the problems start (or sooner if you can).

btw, I have NO IDEA if those products will help your situation. I passed the info along because the past 3 weeks I just did a ton of internet research on the two RX300 MAJOR problems - tranny failure and engine sludge - and those two products were ones that many people say work. Do your own research and good luck!

Let me start by saying I might need to pull a log off the fire. A wife's perception of reality can be night and day different from the truth. The RX cooled off and I took it out for a ride. It "hung up" in 3rd gear not 2nd, exactly the way it is designed to do until the tranny warms up. I then had her come out for a ride w/ the OD off. I ran it up to highway speed and asked if this was what she was experiencing. She said yes. I turned the OD on and all was well. She swears it was something else. She will drive it again tomorrow and give me more precise detail of what she was experiencing. If it really is something more, I will sure to be back on here.

Till then I will commence to giving her some of this and keep my fingers crossed...

:chairshot:

I know I might eat these word (I sure hope not), but I have to say that the VAST majority of people claiming that they have had serious tranny problems on this site likely didn't judging by the problems they described. Shifting issues, lack of engagement does not warrant a tranny replacement. Smoke, terrible noises, fires and explosions most definitely do. It sounds as though the VAST majority have had problems w/ clogged/stuck valves, or solenoid issues. Ya, it sucks, but most of that stuff can be cleared up w/ a good flushing/cleaning. Yota, goes the extra mile to make the customer happy by giving them a new unit bc sometimes clog/sticking issues can't always be resolved on the 1st pass. To avoid safety issues or a *BLEEP*ed off customer they bend and give out new trannies. It just seems that this issue has been blown out of proportion to scare people like me that likely (I hope) don't have a problem.

NOTICE: The above opinion was given with the understanding that at the time I wrote this I knew what the hell I was talkig about. If I come back in the future crying bc the tranny grenaded, please forget the above paragraph.

Thanks!! :cheers:

My wife's 99 RX AWD has 76k miles. When cold she has recently had issues w/ it not wanting to shift out of 2nd. She gets in the car and w/ in .3 mile she is on the freeway. The tranny doesn't have time to warm up. When warm it is fine, but I'm sure it shouldn't be stuck at highway speed in 2nd even when cold.

The transmission shifting is controlled electronically via electronic shift control solenoids and various sensors like the coolant temperature sensor. The transmission electronics also store trouble codes. Therefore you need to have a Toyota / Lexus dealer or Toyota / Lexus specialty shop read the trouble codes and tell you what's wrong. Probably just a minor sensor issue or might be a bad solenoid.

My 99 RX has done the exact same thing ever since I bought it four years ago. My wife was also trying to tell me that there was something horribly wrong with the car. From what I have read, the transmission doesn't shift into overdrive until the engine reaches a certain temp.. Very annoying if you have to go right to the freeway from home. I suggest warming the engine before driving.

Ditto to Blustu's words, for some neurotic reason I always like to warm my RX up for about 60-90 seconds before I take of in the morning of after work. On the few occasions I don't do that I notice the trans does shift differently. Just seems like a good idea in general to get a little heat in the trans and engine oil before stressing either one.