Using Auto-rx To Clean Engine And Tranny

tmhtmh

I read in one of the Lexus forums about a product called Auto-RX used to clean sludge oil and also for transmission clean-up. Add some, run the vehicles for 1500 mi. then flush it out with all the "crud" it cleaned up. Very interesting. I was in industrial water treatment a while back and we did this kind of clean-up on various fluid systems in factories all the time. Maybe some of the same chemicals.

Anyways, internet research seems to confirm the stuff works. So I bought a few bottles to run in my 2002 RX300 with 54k mi. I don't want to get to the "sludged engine" stage! Nor do i want the tranny going out. Unfortunately, although I know the vehicle had regular oil changes, etc. I do NOT have the records of such so warranty issues could be a problem I want to avoid!

I saw no reports of the AUTO-RX being anything but effective. I can't imagine it will do any harm. Obviously, this Toyota engine is VERY prone to sludge problems. At 54k mi. I may be just in time to stop mine from having these issues. At $20 a bottle I sure want to give this stuff a try. It also requires a few extra oil/filter changes to do the cleaning process, so maybe $80 total to have peace of mind regarding the sludge issue.

I'll report back how it works, but it takes a while because you have to drive 1500mi. before flushing it out.

I'll have to read more before I do the tranny cleaning with the product.

Obviously, this Toyota engine is VERY prone to sludge problems. At 54k mi. I may be just in time to stop mine from having these issues.

Search the forum archives. Out of 1000+ members with the '97-'02 1MZ-FE engine, only a handful have had engine sludge problems and all of them (or the former owners) failed to change the oil at least every 6 months or 5000 miles. In other words, additives and special oils are not needed to keep the 1MZ-FE engine clean inside. If you want real peace of mind, pay a mechanic $80 to remove one of your valve covers so you can see for yourself how clean your engine is inside and why there's nothing that needs to be cleaned up.

Same thing with your transmission. Have a shop remove the transmission oil pan so you can see for yourself for yourself just how clean your transmission is inside and why there's nothing that needs to be cleaned up.

monarch, although I'd like to believe you are correct about this, I just can't. First of all, the transmission problem just can't be ignored, even by the most loyal Toyota owners. The FACT is, the owners manual would have you NOT even change the tranny fluid at all. Obviously, there are LOTS of failures in the RX300 tranny. There's a REASON everyone calls for 15-30k tranny fluid changes now, even the service dept. It's because there is a problem NOT addressed in the owner's manual.

As for the sludge, come on, have a look around the internet. LOTS of folks who do regular oil changes report the problem. This is in several Toyota models with the same engine, but of course the SUV's would tend to tax the engine more than the Camary.

I don't think it can be reasonably argued that the RX300 '99-'02 had two weak spots mechanically....oil Sludge tendancy and Tranny failure tendancy. Some of course won't have this, but MANY do. The fact that few of these cars are to 150k mi. and still many are on their 2nd tranny is all i need to see to be concerned of what is going on with mine.

Lexus owners are NOT careless about their maintanence. If the design has NO factor of safety for oil changes and tranny fluid then it is a problem. Fact is, oil sludge shouldn't be a major issue if one waits until 9k mi. to change once in a while.

Ahh, some of my VW-fu can be of assistance.

The sludge issues with 1.8t Passats are much worse than what has been seen with the 3 liter Toyota V6. The problem is that the Passat has a relatively small sump (under 4 quarts)* and the turbo gets very hot (cokes the oil) and for years VW didn't mandate synthetic oil (much higher heat resistance than dino oil). Recipe for disaster,or at least sludge.

AutoRx has achieved legendary status with VW/Audi owners. It's the real deal and not the latest Slick50. Read about here: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/ if you want testimonials from Passat owners or here: http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php for more general information.

A couple of thoughts: (1) without knowing the history of your car, I can't tell you if you need to do the AutoRx treatment, but it can't hurt if applied per the directions; (2) the oil filter on my wife's RX330 is tiny -- I wouldn't extend the treatment cycles beyond the directions with such a small oil filter for fear of filling the filter with sludge (probably only a problem if your car is really sludgy, but I wouldn't leave it in any longer than directed); (3) don't use synthetic oil with the treatment -- it's designed to work with dino oil -- using synthetic afterwards if fine.

HTH and good luck.

Ben

PS I have manual transmissions on my VWs, so I haven't used AutoRx with any auto transmission -- sorry, can't be of help there.

*NOTE: The 1.8t in the Passat had a smaller oil sump than those in the Golf/Jetta/GTI.

bci, those are some GREAT links. Thanks!

Now, I'm totally convinced the Auto-RX clean idea is a wise move. I'm not really sure why it's such a "secret" though. Seems it would be in every automotive store and walmart type store. What's up with that?

bci, those are some GREAT links. Thanks!

Now, I'm totally convinced the Auto-RX clean idea is a wise move. I'm not really sure why it's such a "secret" though. Seems it would be in every automotive store and walmart type store. What's up with that?

I think the guy that invented it has decided to run his own shop for now. When you think about it, it's not a dump it in the crankcase and forget about it product. It's really aimed at DIY shade tree mechanics who don't mind changing their own oil and who keep their cars longer than 4 years. Probably not a large enough market for Walmart.

Also, you are probably getting some sampling error here in a Lexus forum. In general, a Lexus or Toyota can be treated like magic transportation pod -- add gas, change the oil occasionally and it will run fine for 80,000.

I assure you that AutoRx is not a secret with the VW/Audi crowd where more of a hands-on approach to car maintenance is recommended if not required.

NOTE: I'm not implying that Lexus owners are not mechanically inclined -- just that they don't have to be.

While I'm sharing the knowledge from years of keeping a hot running turbo VW running, here are my other two favorite products: (1) Seafoam (in the intake via the brake servo vacuum line, not in the crankcase or gas tank); and (2) Silicone vacuum hoses. AutoRx, Seafoam, silicone hoses, quality synthetic oil, quality (oversized) oil filters and my modified Passat with 120,000 on the odo still gets 30 mpg and produces 200 hp and 230 ft/lbs of torque. Take it FWIW.

Ben

The debate on whether or not any of these additives actually improve performance or extend lifespan has been going on for a number of years. I truly hope that some of them are beneficial because folks surely drop a bundle of money on them each year in hopes that they actually do work as advertised.

My advice to you on this subject is simply this - don't experiment with these products until you have reached a point where you no longer plan to attempt to hold Lexus responsible for performing warranty repairs on your transmission or engine. If you contaminate your oil pan or transmission pan with foreign chemicals, they can be detected if Lexus decides to pull a sample of your fluids if you file a warranty claim. Foreign substances give Lexus an easy out to excuse any warranty claims you may file, and they will take every opportunity to send you home with a "too bad - improper additives have voided your warranty".

Your transmission is probably far more at risk than your engine. Be aware that your RX carries an 8-year unlimited mileage warranty against engine gelling as long as you "show a reasonable effort to regularly maintain your vehicle". I requested and received this information in writing from Lexus Corporate (in the form of a letter to me) for my specific vehicle in December 2003 after we had recently had multiple problems with it (transmission replacement, cracked exhaust manifold, multiple oxygen sensor failures, etc.) and my level of confidence in the vehicle was rapidly declining.

You may want to request this same letter for your vehicle. Call (800)255-3987 with your vehicle's VIN number at hand and ask for the oil gelling commitment letter.

Last November, at about 97,000 miles, I had our local dealership pull the valve covers and do the oil gelling inspection at no cost to me (using that wonderful "goodwill" warranty again) to see where we stood. No signs of gelling were found. I believe this will be the case for the vast majority of RXs out there whose owners change the oil and filter at least every 7,500 to 8,000 miles or so.

I'm not really sure why it's such a "secret" though. Seems it would be in every automotive store and walmart type store. What's up with that?

Auto-Rx is a mail order product just like the products you see advertized on TV at 2:00 am in the morning.

Here's what the insides of a 17 year old Corolla engine look like that received regular oil changes: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/cor.jpg There's a 99% chance the motor in your young RX300 motor is just as clean. Like I said, if you are truly, genuinely concerned about the cleaniliness of your engine then for $80 a mechanic can take off one of the valve covers so you can see for yourself.

The debate on whether or not any of these additives actually improve performance or extend lifespan has been going on for a number of years. I truly hope that some of them are beneficial because folks surely drop a bundle of money on them each year in hopes that they actually do work as advertised.

My advice to you on this subject is simply this - don't experiment with these products until you have reached a point where you no longer plan to attempt to hold Lexus responsible for performing warranty repairs on your transmission or engine. If you contaminate your oil pan or transmission pan with foreign chemicals, they can be detected if Lexus decides to pull a sample of your fluids if you file a warranty claim. Foreign substances give Lexus an easy out to excuse any warranty claims you may file, and they will take every opportunity to send you home with a "too bad - improper additives have voided your warranty".

Your transmission is probably far more at risk than your engine. Be aware that your RX carries an 8-year unlimited mileage warranty against engine gelling as long as you "show a reasonable effort to regularly maintain your vehicle". I requested and received this information in writing from Lexus Corporate (in the form of a letter to me) for my specific vehicle in December 2003 after we had recently had multiple problems with it (transmission replacement, cracked exhaust manifold, multiple oxygen sensor failures, etc.) and my level of confidence in the vehicle was rapidly declining.

You may want to request this same letter for your vehicle. Call (800)255-3987 with your vehicle's VIN number at hand and ask for the oil gelling commitment letter.

Last November, at about 97,000 miles, I had our local dealership pull the valve covers and do the oil gelling inspection at no cost to me (using that wonderful "goodwill" warranty again) to see where we stood. No signs of gelling were found. I believe this will be the case for the vast majority of RXs out there whose owners change the oil and filter at least every 7,500 to 8,000 miles or so.

These are good points, especially if Lexus is willing to inspect your car for signs of sludge for free. I'm only saying that AutoRx is not snake oil or the latest Slick50. It works and I've never heard of it harming an engine. I'm comfortable with it because it's not a solvent and isn't harsh and has a spotless track record as best I can tell.

FWIW, I haven't used AutoRx in my wife's RX330 and don't plan to anytime soon, but her car is newer and I change the oil myself so I know it's done right.

RX, not to sound like a jerk about it, but your RX300 seems to have had a ton of problems - MAJOR problems! I'd be inclined to not do whatever you did or didn't do on yours. No, I'm not saying you caused any of the problems, but I AM saying that there are specific issues with this model that can be addressed in a different way that is very likely to work better.

I agree that one should be careful to not void a warranty. But the last thing I want is an engine re-build, warranty or not. Plus, I'm more concerned withwhen the vehicle is older.

Auto-RX costs $25. Who cares about $25. I bought 3 for $75 because I didn't want to be bothered with re-ordering it if/when I like the results. So many good reports on it, with few if any bad. Seems like an easy decision to me now.

Again, I do not have records of service. At 54k mi., my 2002 RX300 still runs great. However, I can't be sure what's going on inside and there is certain to be some build-up, sludge or not. Cleaning and "rinsing" it just makes sense at this stage. Same with the Tranny fluid I suspect, but I haven't seen as much on this from users.

tmhtmh,

I've been maintaining my own vehicles since the 1970s and have owned approximately 25 of them. My vehicles have always been meticulously maintained and I assure you that my wife's RX300's many problems are NOT the result of anything I've done or not done to it. I've said many times that this vehicle has given us more problems than all of our previous vehicles combined. The RX300 AWD has many inherent problems and we've experienced just about all of them. The only reason the vehicle is still in our stable is because our local Lexus dealership stepped up to the plate and fixed these problems one-by-one as they arose. They recognize and admit that I keep our vehicles maintained and that these many failures should not have occured to us. That's one reason that the fixes have been on their dime, not mine. The good news is that 2005 was a relatively trouble-free year for the vehicle. No failures beyond a couple of burned-out taillight bulbs and it was time to replace the brakes. I'm hoping 2006 will be the same. We'll see. But that doesn't change the fact that I despise the RX and look forward to pushing it off a cliff when we're finally done with it.

You sound fairly inexperienced as far as long-term automotive maintenance is concerned. Do your homework before you go pouring products into your vehicle's orafices that you're not fully informed about.

I can't be sure what's going on inside and there is certain to be some build-up, sludge or not. Cleaning and "rinsing" it just makes sense at this stage.

The Asian automaker engineers specifically advise against using oil and gasoline additives. They know, as I do, what Toyota engines are capable of WITHOUT using additives: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/add.jpg

I'm not really sure why it's such a "secret" though. Seems it would be in every automotive store and walmart type store. What's up with that?

Auto-Rx is a mail order product just like the products you see advertized on TV at 2:00 am in the morning.

Here's what the insides of a 17 year old Corolla engine look like that received regular oil changes: http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/cor.jpg There's a 99% chance the motor in your young RX300 motor is just as clean. Like I said, if you are truly, genuinely concerned about the cleaniliness of your engine then for $80 a mechanic can take off one of the valve covers so you can see for yourself.

Monarch, you sound like a loyal Toyota believer - fine for you. There is no doubt that the Corolla from that time period had a great, long lasting engine. Now, if THAT engine were the one under discussion, you'd have a valid point. Of course, it's not. The amount of documentation regarding the engine in the 6-cyl. 1999-2001/2 RX300 (and several other Toyota vehicle) makes it VERY clear this was NOT the same forgiving engine Toyota built it's reputation on. Nor was the Tranny in the RX300 a durable system. Sorry, but Toyota made some engineering mistakes on this one. Check ANY board where these vehicles are discussed and you see the same thing. Most of the posts are from long-time Toyota buyers with previous great experience with Toyota.

RX, I'm sure you maintain the vehicles as well or better than the owner's manual calls for. Unfortunately, that was obviously not good enough for the RX300 as it had the design flaws discussed here over and over. THAT is why I believe doing the "same old same old" makes no sense at all for my RX300. Follow the owners manual to a T (Oil every 7,500 mi, NO tranny fluid changes) and you're VERY likely screwed! Does it make sense then to do something MANY have found success with? I say of course it does.

btw, the dip stick for my tranny fluid says right on it (small letters) that it need not be changed umder normal driving conditions. Great advice, Toyota. Oh, but it doesn't tell you you'll have to change transmissions every 70k!

Actually you'd probably be fine following the Lexus service schedule. They recommend Mobil 1 5-30 syn oil wich should easily handle the 7500k intervals (I change mine at 5k just because I've always doneit that way). as for the trans fluid I suspect they assume this is an item that would be checked regularly at the fairly frequent recommend service intervals, and if the fluid indicated it a change would be done. The dipstick statement does seem a bit misleading though, dont know what they were thinking there.

There are hundreds of owners of 1997 on up Toyota / Lexus 1MZ-FE V6 owners who have topped the 300,000 mile mark without using special motor oils or oil additives. Here's an example of one such owner:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/320.jpg

"I bought my Camry in February 1999...it currently has 320,000 miles on it....in spite of that many miles in a fairly short period of time (6 years) the car continues to run like a top....."

tmhtmh,

I've been maintaining my own vehicles since the 1970s and have owned approximately 25 of them. My vehicles have always been meticulously maintained and I assure you that my wife's RX300's many problems are NOT the result of anything I've done or not done to it. I've said many times that this vehicle has given us more problems than all of our previous vehicles combined. The RX300 AWD has many inherent problems and we've experienced just about all of them. The only reason the vehicle is still in our stable is because our local Lexus dealership stepped up to the plate and fixed these problems one-by-one as they arose. They recognize and admit that I keep our vehicles maintained and that these many failures should not have occured to us. That's one reason that the fixes have been on their dime, not mine. The good news is that 2005 was a relatively trouble-free year for the vehicle. No failures beyond a couple of burned-out taillight bulbs and it was time to replace the brakes. I'm hoping 2006 will be the same. We'll see. But that doesn't change the fact that I despise the RX and look forward to pushing it off a cliff when we're finally done with it.

You sound fairly inexperienced as far as long-term automotive maintenance is concerned. Do your homework before you go pouring products into your vehicle's orafices that you're not fully informed about.

RX -

Just wondering if 2005 was pretty much trouble free...were those reports on the 04 RX330 or are you saying that the 04's had alot of those problems too, and this report was on the 05's???

I am just wondering and I have read quite a few of your post and it seems like you know what you are talking about.

miasman104-04-2005, 09:56 AM

toyota is extending the warranty all cars newer than 96 to 8 years?

only the ones with the 1MZ-FE. that is the Camry V6 from 1996-on, the ES300/RX300, Avalon, Sienna, and Highlander. It's because these engines LOVE to sludge up.

DDLexus

Lead Lap

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had the motor replaced by Lexus as a result of sludge. And, the engine/powertrain is under standard factory warranty for 7yr/70k miles. I'm

Monarch, do a google search for that engine and "problems" or "Sludge" and you'll find countless examples....and.....hmmm....I also found lots of posts from someone called "MONARCH" excusing the sludge problem in other threads! Seems like someone has an agenda.......

tmhtmh,

As I've said a number of times regarding monarch's posts, "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain". I believe he's on Toyota's payroll somehow/somewhere but he refuses to confirm or deny. He's so OEM/Toyota that if Toyota sold its own special brand of air to put in the tires, he'd swear that the only way to prolong the life of your tires would be to buy it....

LexiRX330,

When I said "2005 was a relatively trouble-free year", it means that our 2000 RX300 had relatively few issues during calendar year 2005. We don't have an RX330 (and rest assured that we never will) so I do not have the expertise to speak for that model and would never presume to....

He's so OEM/Toyota that if Toyota sold its own special brand of air to put in the tires, he'd swear that the only way to prolong the life of your tires would be to buy it....

RX, you mean I CAN use Toyota air in my tires!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT! The Lexus dealership said it voids the powertrain and engine warranty to use anything but LEXUS air in the tires! However, for only $150 I get the OEM LEXUS air in all four tires (spare is extra) AND a free loner car for the day!!!!

Look at the claims the Auto-Rx company makes for their product if you use it in an automatic transmission:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/mastertech/auto-rx.jpg

*Prevent or delay costly transmission repairs

*Dramatically increase the life of your transmission

*Reduce or stop transmission oil seal leaks (unless seals are torn

or damaged)

*Prolong the life of your transmission fluid by keeping it cleaner

for longer periods of time

*Decrease the temperatures at which your transmission runs

*Get more miles to the gallon

He's so OEM/Toyota that if Toyota sold its own special brand of air to put in the tires, he'd swear that the only way to prolong the life of your tires would be to buy it....

RX, you mean I CAN use Toyota air in my tires!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT! The Lexus dealership said it voids the powertrain and engine warranty to use anything but LEXUS air in the tires! However, for only $150 I get the OEM LEXUS air in all four tires (spare is extra) AND a free loner car for the day!!!!

:whistles: :blushing: :whistles:

Lexus air makes the car ride a little better too, gets you better MPG!!! Right??? :blink: FUNNY STUFF...guys!!!

RX-

Thanks for that clarification...

um....yeah....isn't that the reason one would use it? If it does slowly clean deposits/sludge, then of course it WOULD do all those things. No outlandish claims there at all. Also, it's EXACTLY what users have reported happens.

I'm sorry I even reply to you, Monarch, as it took me about two posts to see through your shill for Toyota cover up. Fooling no one, dude.

btw, I agree that Toyota/Lexus makes a good vehicle or I'd have never JUST bought a used RX300. I just am not blind to the obvious shortcomings of this and other vehicles. They are MANAGEABLE shortcomings, imo, and it's a great vehicle otherwise so I bought it. Now I will manage the known issues based on the best available info from dealers AND a proponderance of the anecdotal evidence found in various user groups. Not too tough to figure it all out with some research. That's why I have the FWD instead of the AWD. (Also I'm cheap and have driven FWD in Rochester NY winters for 20+ years),

Auto-RX looks like a good thing, but only for the company that is selling it. No Auto-RX for me.

Not sure that helped much. No reasons, no info, no ideas.

Sorry, but it really bugs me when folks are nay-sayers, but without any logical reason. Just to be negative, I guess.

OBVIOUSLY, if you do any research at all, you can only conclude that Auto-RX has really helped MANY folks with engine clean-up. That can not be refuted. I'm not saying it should be used by all RX300 owners or even ANY for thatmatter, but to ignore that it does do what it claims is just being closed minded in the face of all the evidence. If someone can logically say why it's a bad idea then have at it. LOGIC, not just 'Toyota GOOD, all else BAD" crap.

Many of you act like this is a magic potion or something. Chemical cleanup of fouled systems is done all the time in industry. So, someone has applied this to sludge in and engine - why is that so hard to believe? Likely has some chelating agents in it or something. It's no "miracle" fluid, just something that gets the crud flowing again so it can be filtered or drained with the oil. I'd expect if one looked around there are other such treatments that can help also. Not rocket science, so stop being so afraid of something you just didn't know about and/or understand.

stop being so afraid of something you just didn't know about and/or understand.

If you want to convince alot of people here that your low mileage 2002 RX300 engine is dirty inside and that an oil additive like Auto-Rx can clean it up then you're welcome to post photos of your engine with the valve cover removed before and after the $75.00 Auto-Rx treatment.

Meanwhile, did you see what mek88 (Post #17) wrote today in another thread ?

He wrote:

"Mine is a 99 RX300 AWD @ 136K-miles with original engine & original tranny. I always use mobil-1-5w30 every 5K, and toyota type-IV-ATF every-15K."

136,000 troublefree miles without using engine or transmission additives.