Mileage Vs Speed

BLangeSC400

Ok, So I borrowed the wifes '99 LS to roll to Arizona. It was a run of about 300 miles.

I averaged between 77-83 MPH according to the dash.

Headwind I got 23-25 MPG. Tailwind, I got 26-28 mpg is that right?

Man, my old 91 LS wasn't that tight on gas.

Always a cool trip in an LS.

What have you experienced, mileage vs speed?

-bl

BLangeSC400:

I averaged between 77-83 MPH according to the dash.

Headwind I got 23-25 MPG. Tailwind, I got 26-28 mpg is that right?

What have you experienced, mileage vs speed?

I put on about 250 miles a day, & you're right in there as far as what I get...............

I drive a lot of miles, but it's pretty enjoyable, all sacked out on/in "my living room sofa". I set my cruise for about 79 mph. My Auto X-Ray 6000 OBD II code reader tells me that my (& probably everyone's) speedo is lying........indicated (on the speedo) 79 - 80 mph, is actually 74 - 75 mph. At that speed, the "revenuers" pretty much leave me alone.

I didnt know the speedos were that far off. My daughter trailed us one trip, and said she was indicating different than we were. I blamed her Nissan speedo, but it actually matches up with what you said Threadcutter. I guess I'll check 'em out. Still very satisfied with the mileage.

BLange:

I didnt know the speedos were that far off. My daughter trailed us one trip, and said she was indicating different than we were. I blamed her Nissan speedo, but it actually matches up with what you said Threadcutter. I guess I'll check 'em out. Still very satisfied with the mileage.

After my post about using my OBDII tool, I remembered that I should be a "little" smarter...............I'm going to drag out my Garmin GPS. I'll let everyone know how that compares. It'll probably show less differential between speedo & actual, but I'll still bet there's a difference.

Yeah, the mileage for a car this large is VERY Cool, isn't it?..........................

After my post about using my OBDII tool, I remembered that I should be a "little" smarter...............I'm going to drag out my Garmin GPS. I'll let everyone know how that compares. It'll probably show less differential between speedo & actual, but I'll still bet there's a difference.

Yeah, the mileage for a car this large is VERY Cool, isn't it?..........................

My Garmin consistantly shows that I am going 1 mph less than I actually am in every car I've had it in. I'd guess that the fault is on the Garmin since they are not 100% accurate (although, very close). I also have one of those car chips that collects data from the OBDII port, and it records the same speed that the car shows on the dash.

I usually run 80-85mph except for when some cell phone talking, numb-skull is pitter-pattering in the left lane, and I always get in the 26mpg range, +/- a .5 - 1 mpg depending on how often I have to hit that little cancel switch on the steering wheel.

The mileage is very good from the LS, but I think it would be so much better if we weren't in the 2200-3000 rpm range on the hwy. I wish Lexus would give us a real over drive; 2800 rpms on the hwy is a joke to me. It really irks me that a Corvette gets better gas mileage than my LS does since it turns 1500rpms going 75mph (I'm not looking for a debate, just an observation/rant.)...it can run circles around me and get better fuel economy, what's the deal with that?!?! I think I'll see low rpms in a LS the same day they rival the German's interior accomidations. LOL