Rear Differential Leaking On My 2000 Rx300

hamilton200

I went to get an oil change today and was told that the rear differential is leaking.

My 2000 rx 300 has about 52,000 miles. Is this leak something serious? I no longer have a warranty on this car, however, I do have an extended warranty thru carmax.

Has anyone had this problem? What do I need to do?

Thanks!

Your leak may actually be coming from your rear main oil seal. Rear main oil seal leaks in these vehicles are quite common due to the poor design of the original factory-installed seal. A revised and improved seal is now available and seems to do a much better job. We had ours replaced at no charge from our local Lexus dealership in November 2004 and have not experienced any oil leaks since.

Who changed your oil? What expertise do they possess in identifying leaks?

I went to jiffy lube for an oil change, and about three months ago, I went to another oil change place where I was told of the same issue.

Since I no longer have the Lexus warranty, would the improved seal be replaced at no charge at a Lexus dealer? I have an extended warranty, but am not sure if this would be covered. And this probably isn't something I would get fixed at some random car mechanic, right? I think I need to make some phone calls and find out where I need to go with this problem.

Thanks for your reply, RX in NC!

Your leak may actually be coming from your rear main oil seal. Rear main oil seal leaks in these vehicles are quite common due to the poor design of the original factory-installed seal. A revised and improved seal is now available and seems to do a much better job. We had ours replaced at no charge from our local Lexus dealership in November 2004 and have not experienced any oil leaks since.

Who changed your oil? What expertise do they possess in identifying leaks?

Rear differential!! This is not related to the engine rear main oil seal leak. Rear differential leaks are more of an annoyance then anything, however since you do have an extended warranty have them fix it.