Use Of Soundliq Sli In A 2006 Gs430

Can anyone provide comments on the use of the Ipod function with SoundLiQ SLI for a 2006 GS430?

I would like to integrate this into the car, but only if there is sufficient support for the product.

Can you set the car up in MD Changer emulation so you can see tracks, artist, etc.

Does the radio support MiniDisk Changer with MD-Text?

Thanks.

http://www.vaistech.com/sli.html

• 2 months later...

I just installed one 2 days ago in my 2006 GS 300. Works great. The unit fit behind the navigation unit, so I put some velcro to keep it there and and ran the ipod cable through a hole I put in the glove compartment where the owners manual was. The instructions are easy to follow. You access the PLAYLISTS as "disc" with the controls on the navigation screen, and change tracks with the buttons on the steering wheel. From VAIS' website, I thought it would need the CD emulation mode since my car is for the USA, but it worked in MD Changer mode. The text shows for artist and song, but the playlist shows as a number as "DISC 01" (or what ever number it is through 99). The instructions are necessary for setup, but are very easy.... like matching the volume level. You access the Ipod by the mode button, and everytime you scroll through CD, AM, FM1, FM2, MD, the VAIS unit finds the Ipod every other time. The in between time it access' the connectors for an aux input. You can also set the unit with the screen to let the Ipod unit work with it's own controls. Although it doesn't show TEXT on the screen, you can play something that you hadn't put on a playlist. In this mode, the track buttons on the steering wheel still work.

For the GS' with the ML or premium sound, I think this is the only hard wire solution. I tried the cassette adapter and it sounded good sometimes, but changed alignment after time and looses fidelity unless you fiddle with it, and some times it ejected for no reason. There was always a little to medium humm. Nobody I know thinks the FM adapter is any good.

Bottom line, it works! Works great, and is easy to install. If you have a lot of music on your Ipod, this is like a 99 CD changer that you change songlists on your computer instead of swaping out CDs. If you want to play your Ipod, don't waste your money on other temporary solutions and bite the $300 bullet.

There is a thread for a navigation system modification that has great instructions and pictures for removing the Navigation and CD unit. This really can be done by the car owner if you are so inclined.