Pneumatic Suspension

kevinfromseattle

Seems like you guys know what you are talking about regarding the ride height system. Anyways, I pulled the fuse for the ride height control when it's at L and it stayed at L at any speed. I really like the ride at L. I suspect it will do the same for H. Just wondering if it will do damage to the suspension if I keep it at L.

I've played with pulling the fuse and I'll tell you my experiences. Yes, the ride height locks in place at any speed but you also lose the benefits of the adaptive variable suspension (AVS). As you may know, the AVS system is tied in with sensors to the brakes and steering that "prepare" for stops and manuevers (anti-dive and anti-roll). The shock damping seems to go into some mode other than "comfort" or "sport" that is underdamped and kinda bouncy.

As for damage to your suspension... I can only think of ways it will damage indirectly. If locked in low mode, the suspension has very little up travel and little shock damping.. Take a look at the bumpstop and you'll see. This reduced uptravel can lead to broken lower A-arms. Just ask the Aussie's about their A-arm woes. Most any vehicle that is lowered should have uprated springs to reduce bottoming the suspension out. If not, hitting an offramp at 50mph and hitting a bump could be disasterous.

Furthermore, there is a bit of toe-out change when running in low mode. This could lead to increased tire wear and less stable handling. Of course, one could align it in low mode and fix that.

Just my thoughts. B)

Fraserbluff, just curious, are you running the two airbags with a T-connection or individually? I realize the shared T-connection would allow for better articulation but was wondering what benefits running them individually offered? Better on-road handling I'm guessing.

Edit: I just reread your post. You REPLACED the coils with airbags. The airbags I am familiar with are made by Airlift and are installed inside the coil as a "helper." Anyway, how are those working out for you? I have had my suspension overloaded and revert to low mode as well on a few occasions. Fortunately, with a Hi-lift jack and fiddling with the suspension modes, I have been able to get it going to regular ride height. I am about to swap coils with the OE 80 series coils but have not yet done so.

The air bags are Firestone and can be fitted without any cutting or shutting except where the airlines are attached for checking the air pressure.

The airbags are individual, with seperate connectors at the rear. I would suspect that having them connected would have safety issues (Rollover) on sharp turns as the air would bleed form one side to the other. My understanding is that to address this issue you would cross link them with the fronts and as I cant put airbags in the front it cant be done. The air bags give me back both ride comfort and any load capacity within the vehicles real load capacity ( not one set by an ECU) and height control. I still would like to be able to set the height with out the speed restrictions.

I am currently travelling Western NSW (Aust) fully loaded with a CT on behind and am having no trouble. The vehicle when unladen but full of fuel (two tanks) weighs 3 Tonnes. I will be going incommunicado shortly, so will check on any other questions when back in range

Cheers

Donald (off the rock)

Seems like you guys know what you are talking about regarding the ride height system. Anyways, I pulled the fuse for the ride height control when it's at L and it stayed at L at any speed. I really like the ride at L. I suspect it will do the same for H. Just wondering if it will do damage to the suspension if I keep it at L.

I've played with pulling the fuse and I'll tell you my experiences. Yes, the ride height locks in place at any speed but you also lose the benefits of the adaptive variable suspension (AVS). As you may know, the AVS system is tied in with sensors to the brakes and steering that "prepare" for stops and manuevers (anti-dive and anti-roll). The shock damping seems to go into some mode other than "comfort" or "sport" that is underdamped and kinda bouncy.

As for damage to your suspension... I can only think of ways it will damage indirectly. If locked in low mode, the suspension has very little up travel and little shock damping.. Take a look at the bumpstop and you'll see. This reduced uptravel can lead to broken lower A-arms. Just ask the Aussie's about their A-arm woes. Most any vehicle that is lowered should have uprated springs to reduce bottoming the suspension out. If not, hitting an offramp at 50mph and hitting a bump could be disasterous.

Furthermore, there is a bit of toe-out change when running in low mode. This could lead to increased tire wear and less stable handling. Of course, one could align it in low mode and fix that.

Just my thoughts. B)

Hoser, thanks for the info. I won't touch the fuse again.

I am currently travelling Western NSW (Aust) fully loaded with a CT on behind and am having no trouble. The vehicle when unladen but full of fuel (two tanks) weighs 3 Tonnes. I will be going incommunicado shortly, so will check on any other questions when back in range

Cheers

Donald (off the rock)

I have no other questions right now but it's good to know that the airbags are working out for you. I've been to Australia twice and I love it out there. I'd try and move to Oz but can't get myself to leave my current job and all my relatives here.

Nastylexus, if you want to lower your LX, I suggest you adjust the F&R AHC sensors for a 1" drop. I wouldn't do more than that though. After lowered, try to keep the suspension setting on 3 or 4 (firm) but no less than 2.