Cartop Carrier

Dr.Gee

I installed a Thule Evolution 1600 on my 2006 in December and drove from Seattle to Phoenix and back during the holidays. This model has the following: 1. Comes in silver top and black base or all black. 2. 16 sq. ft. capacity. 3. Length goes from front edge of spoiler to back edge of moonroof -- no interference with either. 4. 34 inches wide and you can open it from either side -- accessable from either side when standing on running boards, or stand on the back when barn door is open. You don't need a ladder. 5. Noticeable wind noise but still very, very quiet. 6. Traveled in heavy, heavy rain and heavy, heavy snow and no moisture came inside. 7. Easy to install -- 1 man can do it alone. 8. It looks very nice -- as though it was made for the GX470. Check website: www.thule.com for your local source or online specials. I got mine from REI -- in stock.

Installation advise: At the point where the U-bolts clamp to your roof rack, wrap it with a 2 inch heavy tape. This will prevent any metal to metal sliding. I understand the new models are going to have a rubberized pinch-clamp instead of the U-bolts.

Hope that helps. Reply if you have any questions.

I installed a Thule Evolution 1600 on my 2006 in December and drove from Seattle to Phoenix and back during the holidays. This model has the following: 1. Comes in silver top and black base or all black. 2. 16 sq. ft. capacity. 3. Length goes from front edge of spoiler to back edge of moonroof -- no interference with either. 4. 34 inches wide and you can open it from either side -- accessable from either side when standing on running boards, or stand on the back when barn door is open. You don't need a ladder. 5. Noticeable wind noise but still very, very quiet. 6. Traveled in heavy, heavy rain and heavy, heavy snow and no moisture came inside. 7. Easy to install -- 1 man can do it alone. 8. It looks very nice -- as though it was made for the GX470. Check website: www.thule.com for your local source or online specials. I got mine from REI -- in stock.

Installation advise: At the point where the U-bolts clamp to your roof rack, wrap it with a 2 inch heavy tape. This will prevent any metal to metal sliding. I understand the new models are going to have a rubberized pinch-clamp instead of the U-bolts.

Hope that helps. Reply if you have any questions.

thanks.

I use a Thule Evolution 1600 as well. I wish I would have logged-on yesterday, because the box as was on my GX and I could have shot a photo ans uploaded it. :( Other than the quality of the box, another great thing about this box and a GX 470 is that fits really well. Put it on your factory rack and slide it all the way back. The 1600 is short enough to let light in through the moonroof and not hang past your spoiler. From left to right, measure 5" from where your crossbar is mounted; the box will be perfectly centered.

I also posted a blurb about roof boxes here:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...topic=25911&hl=

Cheers,

joe