Gs 300 Gas Mileage

I recently purchased an'04 GS300 and it seems to be an excellent car except for two things. The first is that the gas mileage is a little low, I am getting about 22 -23 mpg highway. The second is that the throttle seems overly sensitive. I barely touch it and it zooms. I am thinking that the gas mileage may improve as the engine breaks in a little better. There are only 12,000 miles on the clock. I am also thinking the prior owner drove it pretty hard and the ECU is set to his driving style. Can anyone tell me if they get the EPA 25 highway with reasonable driving habits. Does the ECU change over time relative to the driving habits of the owner? Thanks for your thoughts on this.

Hello forteatwo and list,

First post from a new list member. I too purchased a GS300 recently and am still getting used to the car (mine is a 2002).

I did measure the gas mileage last week; driving about 70 mph with the AC on and a very small amount of city traffic mixed in, I got 25.4 miles/gallon. My driving style is fairly mellow. I too am trying to figure out if the ECU has a learning mode that adapts to the driving style.

Regarding the throttle, it seemed a bit on the sensitive side to me when I first drove the car, but now I am used to it. I can only compare it to my previous car which has a less sensitive gas pedal.

VT