Rx300 New Master Key?

KB2000

I was hoping someone could help me. I just purchased a 2000 RX300

it came with only one valet key. The Lexus dealer says they must change the computer $ 1700 + Labor + $ 200 Key. Is there any other alternative to this. It seems crazy to have to replace a vehicles' computer over a key, especially at that cost. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....

Thanks! I was able to track down the 2 original master keys through numerous phone calls and string pulling. Truly a Blessing! Thank you for a reply......I had not heard of the free one time replacement. Thank you though. Just got real lucky this time.

KB2000

• 2 weeks later...

Search on this forum using words "replacement keys" and you will find a method to reprogram both the keyless entry system and/or to add a new key. Its fussy, but it works. Takes about 5 minutes, but you may need 4 or 5 goes to get to work as its a procedure which involves doing EXACTLY what it says quite fast.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes there is a one-time complimentary replacement of the ECU. I thought I lost both my master keys when I moved, so I called the 1800 Lexus Customer Service number, they got the local Lexus dealer parts manager on the phone and ordered a new ECU and a new master key. I only had to pay for the key, which was 251 plus 87 labor. But then I found my keys the next day unpacking... So... I called'em back, cancelled the ECU, but they already got the master key and stuff, so then they offered to pay for HALF of the key! So I'm only paying like 150 for a new master key. good deal I think :-)

And I still have the one time free replacement of the ECU in case I lose all 3 master keys in the future.

I believe in security systems as much as anyone, but this entire concept of having to replace a computer over a lost key is idiotic engineering at its worst.

Makes you want to store your keys in a vault....

My wife has locked her keys in her various vehicles a couple of times over the years. After the Lexus dealer's story of "it's easier to throw a brick through your window than it is to program a new master key for you", she's scared to death of locking her key in the car or losing it. But her fear might turn out to be the solution to her problem....

Still, this is a Lexus design flaw that needs a better solution.

Whether its a design flaw or not is certainly a a matter of opinion, however when I bought my Lexus I was provided with two ignition keys ( with the chip and remote entry ) as well as one emergency key (with a plastic holder so it will fit in your wallet) which is just like a regular metal key without the chip and remote entry stuff. This third key will only un-lock the doors and will not start the vehicle. Obviously this is to address the issue raised regarding locking your keys in your car. I'm sure this "emergency" key could be provided by any Lexus dealer, although because of the style of cuts on the key I doubt if you could have one cut down at the Home Depot.

I do agree that this type of security should have some way to disable it. I know many people who live in areas where they don't even take the keys out of their vehicles when they stop somewhere, they definitely dont need this type of security. As for myself I, enjoy the peace of mind it affords. As I understand it most vehicles are pathetically easy to steal and this security measure apparently makes it much harder to "jack" my Lexus.