Lumbar Adjustment Not Working One Way

cleverdick

Hi guys,

Can anyone tell me how to remove the plastic trim round the driver's seat where the switches are, and possibly the seat itself from the car? The lumbar motor only works in one direction, therefore I'm concluding that it's the switch or the relay. I reversed the connections to the motor and it worked the other way when I did that, so it's not siezed. I also made things worse by trying to pry the switch out of the seat and the button retaining clips just broke off. :chairshot: And now, something's happened so the motor won't run at all. So I think I really need to check out that switch, and possibly take the seat out too to get to the relay/control box underneath.

But I have had a partial success in fixing the splined transfer bar that does the reclining - I inserted a self-tap screw at one end into the bar to grip the splines - and it seems to be holding up for now.

These seats are nothing but trouble. Any help much appreciated!

:cheers:

It looks like the front seats can be removed by removing a few bolts. Take a look at the post from Blake where he dismantled the interior of his 95 LS: http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=21061&hl=seat

Those are scary pics!!!

But hey, you know what - after wrecking the button clips I sprayed some Kontakt 60 professional switch cleaner into each switch thinking I had nothing to lose, and after a few hours when (presumably) all the tarnish had dissolved, it suddenly all started working again! I really didn't expect this to happen as I would have guessed that the relay (if there was one) would be the weak point and would have pitted contacts due to the motor inductance. I was still faced with a broken (but functioning) switch, but I managed to repair it by inserting a sprung steel pin through it vertically to act as a pivot and it wedged in place quite nicely without being visible. So the seat is now fully working again - for the moment at least! Mine is a 1990 model and I have to say the power seats on my 1983 (European) Ford Granada were more comfortable and never went wrong. (Not the same car at all as the US Granada/Monarch/Versailles).

Ford Granada? Now that brings back memories.

A small number of European Ford Granadas were sold in the U.S. in the 80's by Ford's Lincoln Mercury dealers as the "Merkur Scorpio." We once rented a Granada in the U.K. - drove it all over from Hastings to Stonehenge to all the touristy places and up into Scotland. It was a big, roomy and comfortable car - the four of us never felt cramped for space. The rear seat leg room was incredible and I think I remember the rear seat having an electric recline feature. Handling was tight and its V6 was decently powerful and fuel efficient.

We had originally reserved an automatic Ford Sierra (sold as the Merkur XR4Ti in the U.S.) but the rental agency grudgingly gave us an automatic Granada for the same price when they ran out of automatic Sierras.

Ford sold a lot more of the smaller Merkur XR4Ti in the U.S.

hey i started making a tutorial on how to replace that splined peice for the recline i just didn't finish it but the part is only 20 bucks and it's kinda tricky to install but easy enough to make a really cool 20 dollar fix to hold out a few days and i'll hook you up as far as the lumbar that shouldn't be a real big deal to fix....don't know maybe you just had a bad contact! hopefully..... :cheers: