Iihs? Fools! Rear End Accident

GXGLEN

I just felt the compulsion to signup and submit my story of what happended to me this morning. As I was stopped making a left turn I noticed a car traveling at least 35 - 40 mph approach my car. I continued to watch this young girl and I immediately realized that she was not paying attention so I quickly took my foot off the brake and put my head against the headrest. She hit me dead on in the rear without an attempt at hitting her brakes! I jumped out to find her Ford Tempo totally demolished, the car was crushed in the front beyond repair. Her airbags went off and although she did not have a seat belt on she managed to hobble out of her car with my assistance. Thank God she was fine except for bruised knees. Anyway, my GX suffered what appeared to be bumper and tow hitch damage, maybe the frame was bent who knows at this point. My point is when I read the following last week in the IIHS website my experience today proved them wrong:

"However, the institute's evaluations show seats and head restraints in many models (of which the GX was included and received a poor rating-- my addition) wouldn't do a good job of protecting most people in typical rear impact in everyday commuter traffic," Lund said. http://www.iihs.org/ratings/head_restraints/head_lexus.html

In conclusion, anyone who purchased this vehicle can rely on its high safety standards including the FACT that if you are rear ended you will be protected by the best saftey features avaliable. IIHS.... kiss my *()$#*($.

Glen,

I'm so glad to hear that you've escaped from this accident relatively unscathed. That's very re-assuring to hear that you didn't get whiplash or seriously hurt.

Now, I'm not here to "defend" IIHS in any way shape or form, BUT, you clearly stated that you realize you were about to be hit so you:

1. Took the foot off brake

2. Put your head against the headrest

These two things are what are most important to keep yourself from getting a whiplash. God forbid I'm not hoping for another accident but if it were to happen and you weren't prepared ahead of time to put your head back and the foot off the brakes, I don't know if you would have had similar results.

Before anyone starts to criticize me, let me say that I've been in a car accident and I've suffered whiplash, this is NOT the type of pain I would wish on anyone. After years of physical therapy and healing, I'm still not 100%. On average about 5 times a day, I have to "snap" my neck just to work out the KINKS... (Like cracking one's knuckles)... Each crakle brings a searing shot of pain from the base of my neck down my Right arm, but if I don't crack my neck, I have this "gnawing" sensation...

Sorry to all for the long rant, but I just wanted to give the "flip" side of the story, and Glen, I'm very VERY happy you are safe...

Peace...

-Alex

PS. I knew before I clicked on the 2nd IIHS link that the VOLVO would be the Luxury SUV that would have had the good safety rating. Their vehicles from the SEDANS to the SUV have the WHIPS system for the headrest which basically does what Glenn did, automatically. Forces the headrest to come into contact against the head to prevent the neck and head from snapping...

i totally agree with lonewolf, but, i know you took your foot off the brake to save urself from the whiplash. but...i always thot that you were suppose to keep your foot on the brake...but now that i think about it, it doesnt make much sense unless your close to another car infront. I would gassed away from that ***** lol.